• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bowl vs bottle.

I<3Rabbits

Mama Doe
My rabbits have a bottle in their shed and one on their run. Should I change them to bowls? It just a wonder as I've seen people with bowls and wondered if there better.:)

We had a problem with Sonic's bottle last year, so I replaced it with a bowl until I could get a new bottle. He took a shining to the bowl, then refused to use the bottle again :lol: Some buns are quite messy with a bowl, I think, but Sonic just gets a soggy chin and it obviously suits him :)

I think it's whatever suits the bun best, so you could try them with a bowl but keep the bottle? :)

It's more natural for them to drink from bowls, all of mine have them but Donny and Lola have a bottle as well just in case of the bowl freezing. Not that they ever drink out of it though!

They all used to have bottles but they would take so long drinking.. Now they have bowls they get the same amount of water from 20 seconds drinking rather than a minute+ drinking from the bottle.

I have a bottle and bowl in with casserole and Dumplin they use both and somebun uses the bowl to poop in nearly every day:roll:, or maybe it's their way of telling me its empty:lol:

I use these and my buns really get on well with them.

keeps the water clean and is convenient to fill and carry like a bottle, easy to drink from like a bowl. :thumb:

All 3 of mine use both. They have bowls downstairs in their runs and bottles upstairs in the hutches. I think they prefer the bowls, but will use the bottles when they can't be bothered to go downstairs!

Mine have large ceramic pasta bowls. It's much more natural for them to freely drink out of a bowl :) bottles take a long time for them to just get a few drips I don't like seeing them exhausting their self to get a drink especially in the summer they could dehydrate if they don't drink enough :thumb:

I tried Ludo with a bowl but gave up, he seems to have a 'special Ludo technique' for getting water out of a bottle quickly. If he's happy then so am I!

ETA: He just used the bowl as ear baths!

I tried mine with both and they just didn't use the bottle at all so have a big water bowl.

They're very good with it and hardly ever get hay/poop/dinner in it!

I have 3 snugglesafes so in winter each bunny gets one to sit next to/on (even though they ignore them) and one under the water bowl so it doesn't freeze.

Misty never ever drank from a bowl. I offered both, but ahead preferred the bottle. Lola prefers the bowl, but will use the bottle so she his both. There's lots of water gone out the bottle, she just like it better from a bowl :lol:

Mine have a bowl - I like it because I put a snugglesafe underneath it on cold nights and know it will last them all night without freezing :)

eta: I did have a bottle that had a thermal wrap but the water in the spout still froze :(

Mine like a big bowl. Depends on your rabbits, I suppose, but mine like a good old slurp - I never give it straight from the tap but always add some warm water so it isn't too cold for drinking.

All of mine hate bottles, but if they use it I'd have both. That way they can choose and they'll have more water during the day.

Back