• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My wee Herbie is Depressed.

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
So sad for him. He is deffo depressed after losing Inca. He is very quiet, just sits under the sofa bed or under his chair. Then when I click open the pellet jar or food containers he comes running out, eats one pellet, looks about and sees that Inca is not there too, then goes back under the sofa bed :( He has been nibbling on hay and bits n bobs of veg through the day but not his usual self.
He is also doing wee tiny black poo :(

Wee soul x

Poor Herbie :( Fred was like that when Georgie died, he kept looking for her everywhere and wasn't at all his usual self. Hope he feels better soon.

Worse even than your own heartbreak is witnessing the heartbreak of the bun left behind :cry::cry::cry:

(((HUGS))) to you and Herbie. You will get through this terrible time :cry:

Those of you that have been through this with other buns, how long did they take to perk up?

its important to wait until you're ready too, you and herbie have each other for now so dont feel pressured to get a new bunny when its still so raw. thinking of you x

Aww poor Herbie :( My Nori was widowed twice, both times he was depressed. He is a very social bunny and I found the best thing was to bond him to one of my single boys and they are happy now. I think when a rabbit grieves he needs something to take his mind off the empty space in his life. So that could the form of a new friend, a new toy or space to explore, new food even might give a little boost. Just something different to distract him. For dark poos you could try adding avi pro plus powder to his water. It contains a probiotic which should help his gut a little. And maybe tempt him with some yummy herbs. Coriander and parsley usually go down a treat with my lot.

Big hugs for both of you xx

My Hatter went into Stasis when he lost Smudge 27 th Feb he was on Zantac Emeprid metacam for over a week it's awful to watch em they seem to be looking about Harry is doin good now hopefully soon he will be going to get a new BARC wifey :)

Thanks for sharing your experiences guys. He is eating some basil, dill, coriander & mint just now so that is good. I have Protexin pro-fibre and some Fibreplex here that was for Inca so I will give him some of that, dunno why I never thought of that before, thanks for the idea!

He was grooming the wee bed that Inca always was in. :(

Might nip to Argos and get him a new dog bed / hideout thing and see if that helps any.

Aw bless him :cry: Bella didn't eat for a whole day after Boris passed away and was apparently growling at people too, which is all very unlike her :cry: She has only recently started acting like herself again. I do think she feels lonely though :( Sending noserubs for Herbie, and hugs for you xxx

Those of you that have been through this with other buns, how long did they take to perk up?

It can vary so much. Each Rabbit will deal with loss in their own unique way. Some seem to 'move on' almost immediately, Jo did after losing Hal and she quickly bonded with another Rabbit (Rodney) They met less than 24 hours after we lost Hal.

Lady Lydia on the other hand has still not fully come to terms with losing her soul mate Sir Victor. It has been over 9 months now and she still 100% refuses to accept another friend :cry: In herself she does seem to be OK and the obvious depression must have taken a good 3 months to lift. But she is definitely a very different Rabbit now, I dont think she will ever go back to how she was

So really there is no precise time scale for how long a Rabbit grieves. I hope that Herbie will feel better soon xx

Back