• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutral area for bonding .....UPDATE FIRST SIGN OF LOVE

Fluffs mum

Warren Scout
Apologies for space bar as playing up !

The moment I have my 2 buns in the kitchen in an cage each . We picked up littlemiss this Afternoon from the vets where she ended up after bing abandoned she had a wander around with mr in his cage. Then set her up intempory home let her settle in . Then after a couple of hours let mr out for a bit of sniff and meet thro the bars e was keen to get to her and started pooping whilst bouncing around.

I realise now after reading a few posts few mistakes and should have been neutral. So my question jismis it too latetostart again ?

Can I clean the kitchen floor etc to get rid of his scent ? As the only area I have is the kitchen for the to bond in as husband will not let the elsewhere in the house and to cold for outside as neither have winter coats.

Do I let her settle in a bit more or just go for it tomorrow ? Realise may have leapt in without fully understanding the process !

Sorry I will learn eventually .

Last edited:
Unless your boy is very territorial it should be fine to let them meet in the kitchen. He will chase her a bit and if she runs away and there is no fighting then it should carry on that way for a while. After a couple of days she will stop running away and be bold enough to eat with him. Until this stage he probably won't allow her to eat so you will have to make sure she gets something! If you are not confident about leaving them together overnight, pop her back into her cage and then continue the next day. Unless you can sleep closeby to keep an eye on them, of course. Hopefully a week on from the day you start you should have 2 happy bunnies. Make sure to give them lots of hay to keep them occupied and I am assuming your boy is neutered! The female will be much calmer if she is spayed and won't run the risk of getting uterine cancer. But you can do that at a later stage. Hope it all goes well for you.

Thank you for your reply !

Have ordered an separate run/ collapsible cage to use as well from the fab zoo plus. She is a lovely girl loves strokes and puts her head down when you do. Likes being held as well , well let the vets hold her not quite so keen on me holding her at the mo but am not rushi g her.

Let her out this morning first for an explore then put her away then let him out both seem keen to meet each other but at the mo more interested in pooping all over the kitchen I am assuming to mark the territory . He had ever pooped anywhereere but his cage even in free ranging time. Is this a bad sign ?

I don't know how people find time to bond rabbits am so glad I waited until the holidays when I have the time..... Kind of... No one needs to eat or have clean clothes, or clean rest of the house ? ... Do they :D

I am looking forward to better weather when they can go outside and enjoy the outside... Saving for a shed/playhouse next !

Will let you know how I get on with more annoying questions and still appreciate any advice even if its with an :roll:... It's like learning to parent all over again !

Yep both are spayed and neutered as she was an abandoned bun the vets had funding from the RSPCA . If that payment does not go through I face paint T their client Xmas party every year so tis yr will just not get paid so much .x

How is it going. I think by letting them have the same space alternatively they will both claim the area as their own. You really need to put them together.

Am gong to be brave in a moment ! Let them out together .... Am really nervous, they have been kissing thro the case tho .... Will let you know x

Good lord I feel exhausted ! Lots of chasing she was honking and kind of mewing ? Head down when he came up he did lots of fur pulling mounted her a couple of time even on her face so moved him as did not want to let him bitten there! Poop everywhere . He did jump into her cage and poop there bit of ignoring but she seemed ver stressed and was heavy breathing so have separated them Again for now ........ From what I've read sounds about right?

Yes it sounds more or less normal but next time try to keep them together for as long as possible then you get this stage over with. At least they didn't attack one another so that is a positive!

Thank you ! Tomorrow afternoon is the day ! Just wanted to make sure was all ok . When she was getting very stressed kept him away which he was fine with only working 12 till 2 tomorrow so will be the afternoon ... Better when they are supposedly sleepy.

I am going to be in the same boat as you soon so I'm keeping an eye on this thread a lot :)

Bless them though, I hope it works out well for you :) :D

Well there is some tiny progress .... Once question how do you get anything done when trying to bond rabbits ? Don't really want to leave them alone just in case so the rest of house is turning into a bomb !

Anyway ... They still chase less now though no fur flying and very little mounting she will stay still when he comes up to her for a nose sniff but he goes anywhere near the business end and she's off. They have both been in each others house still poos and sees less though. They have sat in same house and eaten hay together for a couple of mins so think an seeing slow progress?

She is warning to us as well more trusting and will come for a stroke when called . It does make me laugh when he bounds up to her a nose sniff and lick is accepted then as soon he slides beside her she's off. His little face is "oohhhhh" is it possible for a rabbit to sulk ? He is tilting by my feet and she is in his house eating hay .....

..... Sounds good ? ......

sounds good to me- it took a good few days for honey to be comfortable with charlie being around- eating togther is a good sign though :) try not to be involved with them too much- just let them rely on eachother and watch. at this stage i didnt stroke them until they showed some more progress.

This is sounding very good, so which cage will they be using when fully bonded as having both cages there could present problems. They are learning now to share so only need the one they will be using permanently. The more time they spend together the sooner they will become a bonded pair. He will stop chasing her soon, maybe in a day or so.

So should I chance leaving them in the same cage in the evening see how it goes? Seems soon to be shutting them in for the night ?

Hi there. Have they been shut in together for an hour or so, so you can judge if they are happy or not? And if you leave them in the sam e cage this evening or overnight, will you be able to hear them if they fall out? Maybe leave them as you normally do tonight but tomorrow do a trial run in the cage and if they are comfortable with that then tomorrow night keep them together. Fingers crossed!

Good idea will let them out again soon for another run around and tomorrow in the the morning after a run around and we are home will put them together to see how It goes .... Gulp ....

Back