• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What if I never love a bunny again?!

ElsasMummy

Warren Scout
So I lost my lovely Elsa a month ago. I had her since I was 12 and grew up with her (she lived to be 10.) I can't express how much I loved Elsa, she was perfection- so delicate and cute and docile, happy to just sit and chill and let me fuss her. We had such a lovely bond.

I love bunnies and I know I will want to have another in time (not in next 6 months as I'm renting and I want to make a huge outdoor set up as soon as I buy my own house this year.) But I'm worried- will I ever be able to love another bun like Elsa? I've never experienced other rabbits- what if I adopt one and it doesn't have a lovely personality like my Elsie? :( oh I don't know I just wish I could have Elsa forever :(

Can anyone share any experiences from moving on and accepting a new rabbit in time?

I thought that when I lost Kermit that I could never love another bunny as much again. Then, when I just got Herbie & Inca, I would look at them and think 'will I ever love them'......well I did in a very short period in time. You will never forget the love for Elsie, and your new bun doesn't replace it, but instead they give you their version of love.

I have just lost my Inca yesterday and although it is far from my mind just now, I know that I will get another bun for Herbie at some time. They wont replace Inca, but they will give me and Herbie some well deserved bunny love in their own special way.

Thank you Kermit and sorry to hear about Inca, it's so heartbreaking :(

I do look forward to having another little bun to love. I just wish Elsa was still here.

Thank you Kermit and sorry to hear about Inca, it's so heartbreaking :(

I do look forward to having another little bun to love. I just wish Elsa was still here.

Oh, believe me, I hear you wishing that your baby was with you.

The best part is when your new bun does something that makes you remember something that your wee angel bun did....it really makes you be a wee bit sad but smile too.

I was gutted when I lost Blue. Absolutely heartbroken. He was my baby boy. Problem was, Marnie was just as devistated. After a disasterous attempt at bonding her with another bun....we didn't end up finding Maurice until 7 months later.

Luckily both the bunnies and Maurice and I just 'clicked'

You'll find a bunny to fill your hole and expand your heart again....you have time to grieve....try not to dwell on it too much. It will happen :wave:

I thought that after Harry, he was just so special.

I think our bond was just that bit more special because he wasn't mine at first and I so depserately wanted him and in the end my friend let me have him which was amazing. :lol:

When I lost him I said no more bunnies. 20 days later Ludo arrived.

Ludo isn't the same, but that isn't to say Ludo is worse, he's different. I think at first you can't help yourself but to compare and have doubt but gradually you just find your new bun's little foibles and little ways and love them just as much. In Ludo's case he got so ill so young that as he fought through stasis we just grew to love him more and more.

Anyway, it's a normal worry I think, but just one that I can testify isn't a worry in practice. You don't have a fixed amount of love to give do you!

So sorry for your loss, it is so difficult. I had a bunny when I was growing up who lived to be 10 years old and when you've spent that much time with them it's extremely difficult to believe you'll love any other bunny as much. I didn't get more bunnies for about 5 years and I really missed having her around. When I did get 2 new bunnies I found that I loved them just as much as I'd loved her. They were very different personalities, both from her and from each other, but I think that is part of what makes them so loveable. When one of them died last year I was heartbroken again, especially because she was only 4 and I hadn't expected it at all. For a while I thought I wouldn't get another bunny because I would feel guilty replacing her but I've got to the point now where I know that loving another bunny doesn't lessen the love I still have for her and my bunny from years ago. Sorry if this is really waffly, I hope you know what I'm trying to say! Basically I believe that we're all able to love any number of bunnies - we don't have a finite amount of love to share around but it expands along with your bunny family and all your past bunnies stay with you.

Im deeply sorry you have lost your baby girl! Rest now little Elsa xx

Slightly different senario but with the same message.
Back in October 2008 I lost my beloved Pippa, she was a hammy and I loved her so much, she was always there for me, always brightened up my day and made me smile, loosing her ripped my heart out and made my whole world go dark.
I put a picture of her up where her cage used to be and I spoketo her all the time, I lit a candle for her every night.
Then in January 2009, I went to see a friend of a friend to cry on her shoulder as I was still really depressed.
When I got there I saw that she had a gorgeous bunny in a cage in her living room, I asked if he could come out and play and watching him running around, doing binkys made me smile- I had not smilled since loosing Pip. Then my friend said 'i am actually rehoming him, pets at home are going to take him when they have room. Do you want him?' my immediete response was 'YES!!' but my husband was a little less enthuisidstic to say the least and said no and that we were not having any more animals.
After a lot of reasearch, a lot of perswasion and a lot of thinking he finaly agreed!
We went to pick Jimby up and we took him home, I fell in love with him straight away but I felt like I was betraying Pip by loving him so I tried to lock my heart but I came to realise I was not replacing Pip, I was giving another baby a home and it dawned on me that Pip sent him to me, that shes my guardian angel!
The bond that Jimby and I share is like no other, we are sole mates and I would do anything for him. The thing that scares me is how much I love him as it is an even stronger love to what I had for Pip and that was so strong that loosing her caused me to have a breakdown. I know that loosing Jimby will kill me, a lot of people think that my attachment to him is unnatural and they may be right but that doesnt stop it being true! He is my soul mate, he helped me out of a hole so deep, I didnt think I would ever be able to see the light. For he gave me reason, reason to get up in the morning.
Pip will always be in my heart, for there is a special place for her.
Your heart is capable of multiple loves, no love is the same, for each new baby will find their own place in your heart.

Back