• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moulting

ziggyandme

Mama Doe
I've had my mini lop, Ziggy, for almost a year and this is the first time I've noticeably seen him moult. Over the previous week or so he is loosing quite a bit of fur after our hugs. Please would it be possible for you guys to answer some questions I have?
How often should I be grooming him at this time? Why do rabbits moult? Do rabbits dietary requirements change over this time? How long does the moult usually last?
Thank you for any help :wave:

I would guess most buns moult when spring approaches to shed their winter coat in time for summer. Though I'm not sure why indoor buns still moult as they don't tend to have a winter coat as much as an out door bun. Wheraeas humans shed hairs continuously, buns are loke cats and dogs and tend to shed their fur cyclically.

I tend to brush mine each day when they are noticably moulting, especially around the rear of their back near the tail, as this is where they can't seem to get to easily!

Although most buns should be able to cope naturaly with a moult, I think some buns have sensitive tums that can react badly to high levels of fur. As long as they have mostly hay for their diet they should be fine.

Any bun moults 4 times a year, 2 heavy moults and 2 lighter moults (each bun is different)

I help them along my dampening my hands and stroking them, horrid for me, but must help them,

We have one girl who seems to be in permanent moult, and others we only notice by colour change in the coat.

Really glad that someone posted about this, I was going to as Reggie appears to moulting noticeably more recently. Info v.helpful. :thumb:

Finx has starting moulting too and is turning a completely different colour! Tango hasn't started yet though.

It must be spring :)

Oh, my boys are looking weird , they are showing strange moult lines along their bodies and on their noses... I dont want them to moult too quickly though as the weather up here is meant to be cold till the end of april!!,,

Back