• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've just ruined months of trust building in 30 seconds flat ........

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
..........is there any way I can get it back?

I've spent such a long time really trying to gain Dizzi and Rascal's trust and have reached the stage where they both know their names, will come when called, happily eat their tea from my hand or off my knee and actually quite like, when in the right mood, a full body massage.

Today as they were playing out in the garden I noticed that Dizzi kept licking her left paw, she did it quite a few times and then I found a drawing pin on the floor in the garden so panicked and thought that maybe she'd stood on it.

So I tried to pick her up to check her paw, but I didn't have a proper grip on her and she ran off (I didn't pick her up then drop her, I never actually managed to get hold of her properly) ........... now she is clearly very annoyed with me!

I've managed to have a look at both her paws by feeding her a couple of pellets through the mesh on the hutch high up so she has to put her paws on the mesh to stretch up and they're absolutely fine ......... I now realise I should have done this in the first place.

So my question is, how do I regain her trust again? Does it sound like I've just undone ALL the good work or do you think she may just need a day or so to come round?? She did take a crunchie off me but when I put my other hand out to give her a nosey rub (which I always do), she ran off. :(

She will probably just take a day or two to come round. I had the same problem with Flopsy but I had to pick her up twice a day to put cream on her. She took about 2 weeks to forgive me :lol:

You won't have undone all your hard work so don't worry :D

Yep, you won't have undone all the work. Just continue as normal and I expect she'll forgive you pretty quickly :)

My bridge bun would stop "talking" to me for about a week after she had a vet trip. I wouldn't worry about undoing everything but they will let you know when you have displeased them. :lol:

Offering food and nose rubs is usually the way to say sorry! :thumb:

Thanks guys, feel so much better now.

Whilst Dizzi was in snoozle mode this afty she let me give her some nosey rubs ...... not for long but its definitely a good sign! :D

As others have said, I'm sure she is just having a sulk and will forgive you soon.

Poppy is a pro at sulking, however, when it comes to food she finds it very hard to resist (even though she really does try) and eventually her tummy gets the best of her, so I would say perhaps a couple of treats may help to get you back in her good books ;)

Definitely agree with everyone else. Stephen hid from me under the stairs for nearly 2 days after his neuter and now he's back to being my cuddly boy :D

Back