• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis

rab

Young Bun
I have a four week old baby rabbit who's eye is swollen shut. The strange thing is she is not acting lethargic. She is obviously still nursing, what do I do? Is this myxomatosis?

You need to take her to a Vet, we cant make a diagnosis over the internet. It may be a slight conjunctivitis, but as I said, a Vet consult is definitely needed

Is there anything a vet can do for myxomatosis? I certainly will consult one, but can they do anything if I bring it in?

It might not be Myxi but I would take her/him to vets to make sure as Jane has said :wave:

Is there anything a vet can do for myxomatosis? I certainly will consult one, but can they do anything if I bring it in?

It is unlikely to be Myxomatosis, especially as it is just the one eye that is effected. But if there is any bacterial infection in the eye if it is left untreated the Kit may develop a corneal ulcer and ultimately end up losing the eye. Far better to seek treatment sooner rather than later.

I will go and see a vet, but I have to wait until tomorrow. What should I do, the kit is only four weeks? Should I separate her/him from the others and just give it formula? If yes what kind of formula should I use?

I will go and see a vet, but I have to wait until tomorrow. What should I do, the kit is only four weeks? Should I separate her/him from the others and just give it formula? If yes what kind of formula should I use?

No definitely do not remove the Kit. His/her best chance is to remain with his/her mother and siblings.

I have an emergency the sibling of the sick kit just died this very second. Literally he was just alive at least thirty minuets ago. Why do you think he died, is it because of the sick rabbit? Is that even possible?

You need to call the vet. No-one on here can tell why the bunny passed. I'm so sorry for your loss. If you call your regular vet, they will have an emergency number if they don't run their own out of hours service. They can advise you over the phone and tell you whether they need to see the others.

You need to call the vet. No-one on here can tell why the bunny passed. I'm so sorry for your loss. If you call your regular vet, they will have an emergency number if they don't run their own out of hours service. They can advise you over the phone and tell you whether they need to see the others.

Ditto to the above

Back