• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How often sudocrem sore hocks?

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
Dudley has developed sore hocks, I believe because he's decided to change where he sleeps and is predominantly on a coarser piece of carpet! The carpet is now covered over with soft fleecy bedding and I'm applying sudocrem but how often should I do this? He doesn't like to be picked up so I'm currently only doing it once a day, is that enough with the flooring change? His hocks weren't bleeding but had two bright red sore spots on them!

Sometimes putting cream on can make things worse. Can you post a photo of them ?

It may be that he has developed some arthritis, in which case that would require treatment as much as the hocks.

bisc has this aswell. we were told to only put cream on them when the skin becomes crusty. that way you stop it before it cracks. so we just leave bisc's alone when they're red (even though they look sore) and then eventually it toughens and becomes crusty and then we put either a tiny bit of cream or vaseline. they haven't cracked in a while luckily but when they did we bathed with cooled boiled salt water once a day and applied cream twice a day until it healed.

matts got a bright red patch on one heel aswell, but his never seems to get tough so we just leave it and keep an eye on it. :wave:

Ooh righto! The vet said to put something like sudocrem on them, it's only happened in the last few months and that's coincided with his change of sleeping location! Jane I'll try and get a photo but will need to wait 'till I have a friend call round, there's no chance of me being able to hold him and get a decent photo!!

Personally if they aren't too bad I would leave them and see if they heal up now you have put down something softer for him to sit on. If they don't heal up then perhaps there is something underlying so I would pop him to the vets for a check over. I've just gone through this with Fiver, I changed the flooring in my bedroom for him and nothing helped, even the sudocreme. It turns out that he is painful in his back end...we are presuming it's arthritis and he is now on metacam.
I still have the problem with his hocks so I am now using manuka honey.

I hope your bun's hocks heal up soon!

Thank you! I'm on constant hock watch now, and I have everything crossed that they get better with the softer flooring! I've never seen sore hocks before, apart from really bad ones that people have posted on here, so don't know if they'd be classed as verging on being bad! I need to get a photo!

Back