• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

mufasa has been to the vet :(

elmoandfern

Mama Doe
my recently adopted foster bunny mufasa has been to the vets this morning and come home with eye drops, probiotics and zantac and is back in on tuesday for a blood test and poo sample :( he has lost a huge amount of weight (2.5kg to 1.8kg in 6 weeks) and has also had some funny poos in amongst his usual perfect round golden ones :( im so so worried about him and feeling so guilty that i didnt take him in sooner :( the vet mentioned a possibility of kidney failure, does anyone have experience with that? she also thought possibly stomach ulcers (which is why he is on zantac) there seem to be so many symptoms and so many possibilities im just a mess, i've never had to deal with a sick bunny before, other than a few episodes of bloat and i feel so useless.
sorry for the rant :(

he is drinking more than usual and also has an increased appetite, although he did go off his hay for a few days last week (which is what i thought was the cause of the problems) he has had darker poos, much smaller poos, odd shaped poos, sticky poos and then last night had some mucus covered poos as well as blobs of white/clear mucus amongst his poo. he also has an eye irritation (the vet thinks it is unrelated) caused by malformed eyelids (typical lop-eye she called it) she checked his teeth and said he has very minor spurs but nothing that should be causing such extreme weight loss, especially as he is still gobbling hay. he is very bright and happy in himself and does not appear to be in any pain, although i know in rabbits that is often deceiving!

Hopefully the diagnostics will give the Vet more information to enable him/her to prescribe treatment to get him back to good health. Try not to think of worst case scenarios at this stage. Although I know that's a bit rich coming from me :oops:

thank you :) i was hoping you'd reply as i know how much experience you have with rabbit illness, and im comforted to know you dont think theres anything glaringly obvious that the vet missed! do you think it would be best to avoid giving him any veg/herbs? i forgot to ask the vet.

Having a dental bun, I recognise many of those symptoms as signs of molar malocclusion/molar spurs and gum irritation. Often eyes will become red and watery on and off, poos will become smaller, mis-shaped and sometimes joined together with fur due to gut slow down. Even small spurs can cause extreme discomfort in some buns and they may actually be eating less hay (if any) iven though it looks like they are eating it (nose pushing hay around, maybe a nibble, but often dropping it).

Does your bun have pellets in addition to hay? If so, is he eating pellets OK, or does he drop them?

As I'm currently nursing a bun that supposedly had nothing wrong with his molars 3 weeks ago (according to one vet) another vet took him in for GA and x-rays and discovered a rotted tooth spur (caries) with severe inflammation of the gums...he was also bouncing around as if nothing wrong with him (and trying to hump his wifey bun all the time)

So, if your bun doesn't improve soon, I would be inclined to ask for his molars to be checked more thoroughly under GA.

Having a dental bun, I recognise many of those symptoms as signs of molar malocclusion/molar spurs and gum irritation. Often eyes will become red and watery on and off, poos will become smaller, mis-shaped and sometimes joined together with fur due to gut slow down. Even small spurs can cause extreme discomfort in some buns and they may actually be eating less hay (if any) iven though it looks like they are eating it (nose pushing hay around, maybe a nibble, but often dropping it).

Does your bun have pellets in addition to hay? If so, is he eating pellets OK, or does he drop them?

As I'm currently nursing a bun that supposedly had nothing wrong with his molars 3 weeks ago (according to one vet) another vet took him in for GA and x-rays and discovered a rotted tooth spur (caries) with severe inflammation of the gums...he was also bouncing around as if nothing wrong with him (and trying to hump his wifey bun all the time)

So, if your bun doesn't improve soon, I would be inclined to ask for his molars to be checked more thoroughly under GA.

yes he does have pellets too, and eats them ok. he is definitely eating the hay as it goes down considerably and i top it up 3 or 4 times a day. he was neutered mid feb and had his teeth checked under GA and they found no problems, but perhaps they should check again just to be sure! i was surprised to hear he had any spurs as it wasnt mentioned to me at the time of his neuter (although it was done by the RSPCA and he was not my bunny at the time) would his weight be an issue for GA?

I'm not sure, but my Pebs dropped from 2.2 to 1.6KG when he had his first molar burr. If he has no problem eating pellets, then it is unlikely to be his teeth causing pain, but then saying that, Pebbles continued to eat pellets for two weeks even though his gums were inflamed, but each week he would stop eating till he had a shot of metacam and metclopromide..then eat for a week and stop again.

thanks for the advice, i'll mention it to the vet when i take him back on tuesday and if he stops eating pellets i'll take him in sooner.

Back