• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need Advice ASAP!

DwarfBuns

Warren Scout
My rabbits have been a bit off since their fight the other day (posted in bonding & behaviour). I've just been checking them over & noticed Frasier has two large black lumps either side of his genitals.

I know this is going to sound ridiculous.. But I can't figure out what they are! My main concern is that it is faeces & it is quite stuck on! I've tried to remove them with warm water to no avail. Managed to get a small bit off one :/

This is the ridiculous part.. I just wanted to check that these aren't his testicles?! He's castrated, as is Niles. And Niles doesn't have this.. All I can think is if it is poo, no wonder the poor guy isn't eating/pooping properly! He's probably in quite a bit of pain when he tries to pass anything!

Bit frustrated if it is faeces as we've been vets twice now & it's not been noticed.

Would love some thoughts on this & advice. If it is faeces, I can't seem to remove them.. Does anyone have any advice on how to remove it?

Thank you x

Sounds like build up in his scent glands, is it waxy in nature? It's nothing to panic about, he should be cleaning them himself but sometimes they don't. You can clean them with a cotton wool bud dipped in water, it should come out in a waxy lump a bit like earwax.

Sounds like build up in his scent glands, is it waxy in nature? It's nothing to panic about, he should be cleaning them himself but sometimes they don't. You can clean them with a cotton wool bud dipped in water, it should come out in a waxy lump a bit like earwax.

This, and it doesn't half stink too lol

I've just had a look on google & YouTube.. That looks exactly like what Frasier has! I might have a go at cleaning his scent glands tonight! I hope they've not been like that for long. But it would explain the sudden fighting, the not wanting to move & not eating/pooping! Bless him. Thank you!

One stupid vet I saw told me it was a nasty infected bite :? An emeregency one, at premium cost:evil:

Anywho, sweep it away from thd body, should come out in one stinky clump. Good luck

Thank you so much! It was definitely a build up of his scent glands! He was a bit wriggly at first, but I think once he realised what I was doing, he settled down considerably. I hope he is a lot more comfortable now, hopefully he starts eating soon.

I cant believe the vet didn't notice it at all :/ So glad I checked his bum this evening! fingers crossed this stops the fighting too!

Back