• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP!!! Barbie's feet is bleeding....

Little_Girl

Warren Scout
omgomg...i just discovered one of her front feet is bleeding...

I dont know what exactly happened, she was hopping around the living room and suddenly she sat on my white slippers and i found a small amount of blood on it

it seems to be a broken nail or something, she wouldnt let me touch it! what should i do???

Please help!!!!

Hey calm down. You being so stressed will just upset your bun. You said it was only a small amount and she probably has caught a nail on something. Just sit with her on your lap if you can, and hold a tissue on her foot to keep it clean and until it stops bleeding. That's all I would do.

Hey calm down. You being so stressed will just upset your bun. You said it was only a small amount and she probably has caught a nail on something. Just sit with her on your lap if you can, and hold a tissue on her foot to keep it clean and until it stops bleeding. That's all I would do.

Thanks for reply. I was so panic as i found more blood on the floor afterward, i think she has broken her nail on the carpet (not 100% sure) need to find out what causes that to avoid future accident :(

she still not let me touch her wound and it is impossible to hold her as she doesnt normally like to be hold. I just phoned my vet, he said it may bleed for another while (like 15 mins) and will stop itself. was advised to bring her in tomorrow morning to check the wound....

at first i thought the blood was coming from her nose, as she cleaned her face with front feet and blood got on her nose (which would be a much worse case)....

Oh dear I understand why you were so upset now though. You obviously look after her so well to have noticed it so quickly. Don't worry too much though these things can bleed quite a lot which is perfectly normal. It would be good if you can get her more used to being handled though, in case of any future mishaps. One of my 'special needs' buns, Dipsy in my signature, crashed into the lounge wall new yrs day and split his head open. Needed general anaesethic, x-rays, 7 sutures and his head shaved lol. So glad his fur has grown back now, hated his thuggish look. Have you got your bun insured?

Glad wee bun is ok.
I mind how panicky I was when this happened to angel, but her dew claw was ripped out after a fight.
I put some flour on the wound, and then gave her a wee bit of metacam(its a painkiller and I still hat a litle bit left after her spay)
took her to the vet the next day to check it wasn't broken.
hope your vet visit goes well tomorrow xxx

Oh dear I understand why you were so upset now though. You obviously look after her so well to have noticed it so quickly. Don't worry too much though these things can bleed quite a lot which is perfectly normal. It would be good if you can get her more used to being handled though, in case of any future mishaps. One of my 'special needs' buns, Dipsy in my signature, crashed into the lounge wall new yrs day and split his head open. Needed general anaesethic, x-rays, 7 sutures and his head shaved lol. So glad his fur has grown back now, hated his thuggish look. Have you got your bun insured?

thanks again! im new to keeping rabbit, Barbie is my 1st bun, so there is still a lot i need to learn about them.....found this forum really helpful!
omg, is your bun okay now? such a terrible accident...:( hope he recovered perfectly!

no Barbie is not insured yet, im thinking to get it now, do you think it is worthwhile? not sure what kind of things do they cover...i need to have a good look! x

Glad wee bun is ok.
I mind how panicky I was when this happened to angel, but her dew claw was ripped out after a fight.
I put some flour on the wound, and then gave her a wee bit of metacam(its a painkiller and I still hat a litle bit left after her spay)
took her to the vet the next day to check it wasn't broken.
hope your vet visit goes well tomorrow xxx

hi there! and thank you! :)
it really gave me a heart attack when bad things like this happen...
sure i will let you know how we get on tomorrow x

It's amazing how much a nail can bleed, and as you say they then wash and wipe it everywhere. If it's a front paw, they do that pre-wash shake and flick it even further! It wouldn't surprise if tomorrow the vet can't even find a wound.

It's amazing how much a nail can bleed, and as you say they then wash and wipe it everywhere. If it's a front paw, they do that pre-wash shake and flick it even further! It wouldn't surprise if tomorrow the vet can't even find a wound.

Hi Tamsin! I just found more dried blood on the wall and corner of the living room...shocking*

at least she is still eating and hopping around, which calms me down a bit..

i wonder if it is necessary to take her to the vet tomorrow? I know it is important to get her wound checked but I dont want to stress her if thats not necessary...

she looked a bit upset last time when she got her post-sprayed check-up at the vet, dont think she enjoy going there x

The wall will be the flicking! Scamp flicked blood about 3' up the wall when I caught a nail a bit short once.

If it was just a nail then I wouldn't usually, the vet won't do anything other than look. If you think it's an actual wound/injury or she's limping, or acting at all of of character then that's different. Eitherway if you're worried you can get a checkup. Are you due vaccs or anything - you could combine the trip.

The wall will be the flicking! Scamp flicked blood about 3' up the wall when I caught a nail a bit short once.

If it was just a nail then I wouldn't usually, the vet won't do anything other than look. If you think it's an actual wound/injury or she's limping, or acting at all of of character then that's different. Eitherway if you're worried you can get a checkup. Are you due vaccs or anything - you could combine the trip.

she looks 'normal' now, not limping and shes eating/ drinking as usual. I was able to have a closer look on her nail, it is the one at the right side and is completely off. no more bleeding. I will keep an eye on her and see if we need to go the vet later on.

Is there any cream/ medicine which is rabbit safe i can apply to her nail? im worrying about infection!

Thanks x

Leo's claw came out the other day. It's fine now, we've just been keeping it clean by giving it a wipe with warm water on a towel every 3 or so hours, mainly to keep my bf happy!

Hi if her nail has come completly off then I personally would get it checked at the vets just to be careful of any infections

Hi everyone, just a update on Barbie's toenail...:wave:

Took her to the vet today for nail cut so that they can have a look on her broken nail

here is a picture:

IMAG3031_zps3b0045cd.jpg

it doesnt seems to have any infection, as the wound all dried up itself :)

Thanks again to everyone who adviced me!

Last edited:
Back