• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Shock

R.P.B.G.G

Mama Doe
What are symptoms of rabbit shock?

Ive never dealt with a rabbit with shock before, but have had a frantic call from someone that their dog has chased their rabbit, and she is just laying their 'panting' not interested in food,

I advised to keep bun warm and vet, but dont know if that was the right thing to advise?

Would like to know aswell if we ever do have any dealings

Thanks in advanced

Doughnut I guess was in shock when she was chased by a large fox around her enclosure. She just sat still and I chased it off then she lunged at the enclosure. I bought her in and she was stamping her foot and making like a sobbing noise. Never heard it before, it's like humans make when they are sobbing and then draw breath in between. I just laid down with her, talking to her and stroking her to reassure her and gave her some pellets. I think because she's greedy she ate them and then returned back to the gasping and thumping. This gradually subsided.

I don't know what the medical stuff I should have done though. I think I was lucky that she survived that fright.

She left her laying in her bed area in her hutch, as thats where went and laid it was an hour on when she called and there was no change,

I dont know how to deal with it, but know it can be fatal, which is why I advised vet, I really hope I havent told her to go for nothing, she was so worried x

Firstly I'd advise the person to be more careful and keep the dog under control and away from the Rabbit !!

The Rabbit needs to be left alone in a safe enclosed and familiar area, with food and water within easy reach

The Rabbit should have returned to normal within half an hour, certainly his/her respiratory rate should be normal again

He/she should be eating and pooing again within 2-3 hours.

The person needs to make sure that he/she does not have the dog's scent on him/her when approaching and handling the Rabbit

If not then a trip to a Vet may be necessary as the stress could trigger gut stasis.

I think it's always worth going to the vets for peace of mind, I just wonder if she's OK to be moved. I guess after an hour though and there is no change then she needs to go.

Poor little thing, let us know if she's OK. Maybe the vets can give something to get her more perky again.

I wonder if it's the same noise as Doughnut was making. Never heard it before and haven't since thankfully. It was just such a sad noise like she was crying.

Thank you Jane,
The rabbit was out of her run, she assumes she hadnt closed it, so human error, not the dogs fault, they are normally kept apart.

I will call her back now x

Firstly I'd advise the person to be more careful and keep the dog under control and away from the Rabbit !!

The Rabbit needs to be left alone in a safe enclosed and familiar area, with food and water within easy reach

The Rabbit should have returned to normal within half an hour, certainly his/her respiratory rate should be normal again

He/she should be eating and pooing again within 2-3 hours.

The person needs to make sure that he/she does not have the dog's scent on him/her when approaching and handling the Rabbit

If not then a trip to a Vet may be necessary as the stress could trigger gut stasis.

Awww Jane what a bewwwwwwtifullllll and heartwarming signature :love::love:

I got really confused then, I was like whats she talking about beautiful and heartwarming, haha I turned signatures off as it slows my phone down if I go on there haha!

Thanks everyone for advise, I called her straight back and she hadn't left for vets, and she called me can at about 3.30 and she was back eating and moving around the hutch again, phew!

Told her to keep a close eye on her, The dog didnt actually get her, it was trying to play, but a rabbit isnt going to understand that obviously,

Thanks again x

Ah bless her. At least she is ok now. I was worried that doughnut wouldn't want to go outside again but she was fine. Its me who worries more.

Back