• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do I weigh my rabbit?

Jolysium

Mama Doe
Fred went to the vet for his vaccination booster on Monday. She checked him over and said that one of his back teeth was a bit long. He also gets a bit of a sticky eye on that side occasionally and she said the tooth might be the cause. He'd also lost weight, down from 2.25kg to 2.05kg. He's eating well and seems ok in himself so she suggested we watch and wait, but she said I need to weigh him every week or two.

The problem is that he really doesn't want to be weighed! He's not good with being picked up although he's happy to be stroked.

Has anyone got any tips on how to weigh him?

If you have bathroom scales you could try weighing an empty pet carrier, then put Fred in, weigh them both and minus the pet carrier weight (or zero the scales with the pet carrier on if they're digital).

He might not like it, but if he doesn't like being picked up at least that's less picking up, and will allow you to weigh him which is obviously something you have to do. Hope you manage to sort something that doesn't stress him too much :)

I'll give it a go! Thanks :)

If you have bathroom scales you could try weighing an empty pet carrier, then put Fred in, weigh them both and minus the pet carrier weight (or zero the scales with the pet carrier on if they're digital).

He might not like it, but if he doesn't like being picked up at least that's less picking up, and will allow you to weigh him which is obviously something you have to do. Hope you manage to sort something that doesn't stress him too much :)

I've got parcel scales, they are the right size. Put a litter tray on top with a small mat inside it. As part of the daily checkup routine I pop them in the scales for only about 5 seconds, enough to get a reading. What is really funny is that one of my rabbits got so used to the daily routine that he started to climb into the scales himself! He knew it was the last thing I did before I took him back outside :)

I've got some baby scales. Expensive but alot easier for me than trying to balance a litter tray on kitchen scales.

Like this!

907F711A-8FAA-42A7-BA11-B501996C8B81-6271-00000692AB546441.jpg

We put Ted and Rosie in the big stew pot on the scales :oops: but they leap out so we have to be quick :lol:

We put Ted and Rosie in the big stew pot on the scales :oops: but they leap out so we have to be quick :lol:

It's no wonder they're keen to leap out of a stew pot :lol:

Just tried weighing the carrier but the bathroom scales are rubbish and wouldn't register it, so they're clearly not accurate enough to monitor his weight. Tried the same trick with the kitchen scales but it was too heavy for them! I'm just going to have to invest in some better scales :roll:

After reading this thread yesterday I weighed Harvey (I brought Lilly in to weigh but then forgot because we were having cuddles!), I literally plonk him on the bathroom scales on the floor, he's not there for long but it's just long enough to get a reading! He does seem to be scared of them though, probably because they're glass and slippy! He acts like he's at the vets when we go into the bathroom :roll:

Back