• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping rabbits warm outdoors

NellieNooNoo

Warren Scout
After Button's battle with ill health and eventual demise I swore I would not get any more small furries. Until I felt drawn to two on the free ads, free to a good home, in my area so have decided to go and look at them.

I know they are outdoors but not sure of the set up. My hutch only has tarpaulin covering it against the rain, I'm guessing thats not enough. If I did take them on what else would I need to do to keep them warm?

Bringing them indoors isn't an option but although it's cold here we are snow free.

Hi

I use snugglesafe heat pads and lots of hay and news paper in the hutches. They are in the garage at the moment which helps against the wind although still cold. As my hutches are large 3 storey ones there is enough room to put cardboard boxes in them lined with hay and my buns like to snuggle inside them.

My buns tend to snuggle together on top of the heat pads when they go to bed.

Hope it works out well for you.

Decent weatherproofing/draughtproofing for the hutch and run, heat pads (although none of mine use them), straw is warmer than hay for bedding, plenty of hay, a little extra food if they can tolerate it, thick newspaper on the floor of the hutch (or towels/fleece blankets), carboard boxes inside the hutch to creat warmer hideyholes etc.

Good Luck xxx

With a heavy heart have decided to not see these two, as I wanted to eventually rehome them but after speaking with a couple of rescues know I could have them for a very long time.

But am going to foster for a local rescue, rabbits or guinea pigs.

I felt so guilty when winter came i put a 100w ceramic heat lamp in there sleeping area, i did have my reservations as its mains powered but its too high for them to get and its well insulated,now they seem so much happier in winter, last year they were so miserable.

Back