• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So Angry at my so called vet following my little girls spey. *Warning vet rant* U/D

PippinWarren

Warren Scout
I'm going to vent my spleen :evil: so please don't read any further if you may find this upsetting..... I need to rant.

Following on from this thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...scared-I-m-going-to-see-the-vet-lady-tomorrow.

My ickle teeny tiny sweetie went in for her spey & teeth check today cost £52.95 bargain considering she was going to have invasive surgery.

I arrived at the vets with both my pooch and bunny. Expecting as usual, a bun health check on arrival (weight, heart & gut sound) prior to her departing for her spey.

At the same time I had my pooch booked in, as with all the howling gales I suspect some hay had blown in her eye and caused irritation.
Routine as I thought. Pooch on table less than 5mins, fluoroscene drops and 10 sec glare with occular, prescription for fucithalmic ointment and relieved us of £45.

Vet then announces..... "I'm allergic to buns so I don't want to do the checks, it will be done at our main surgery when she goes there for spey" :shock::shock:

I was very suprised at this because at no time of the booking did they mention the vet wouldn't be able to perform the usual checks. Being very trusting I said ok and left my ickle sweetie in her trusty hands. I have had buns speyed before at this surgery and never had such an impersonal consultation but put it down to said vet having a morning moody.:roll:
6 hours later I get phonecall....she's all done and ready to be collected at local branch. I tried to enquire what her health was like prior to spey etc the nurse said oh you will get a full report on discharge.

I went along to collect and was greeted with nurse bundling buns carrier onto counter saying there you go all done thats £82.95. Naturally I enquired why another £30 had been added to buns bill. Nurse said she had 2 lower molars burred. Ok so why was I not informed....nurse replied oh have they not rang you?

What I can only describe as a lively conversation that involved me relaying questions about my ickle buns health and the nurse scurrying off to ask the vet said questions ensued. At the point I started to ask was there any chance I could have a conversation with the vet who had cared for her, for a verbal conversation/report as I was told I would get and expected...... the vet although not having anyone else waiting rather reluctantly saw us. Again I had questions and her reply was yes she had spurs I burred them.......that was it.

She was totally uncaring gave me the impression I shouldn't be asking questions and answered with very curt one word sentences. :evil:

In the end I had to ask my local rescue, that I foster for, for advice.:shock:

Letter of complaint winging its way to vets and I will never use said vets ever again. Useless sack of *&^YG$£".:censored:

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, that's terrible.

I would definitely be writing in too if I were in your shoes (in fact I have in the past complained and never gone back to a vet due to their uncaring attitude - I actually left the vets in tears).

I do think that some vets treat bunnies like second class citizens (animals)!

Hugs to you and nosey rubs to your ickle sweetie! x

Gosh what an awful experience. I think you are right to complain and leave. A good vet will always welcome questions and try to educate owners. My vet never shuts up tbh :lol: But I love him for it, he is up front and honest and bunny savvy too as well as interested in the species. Your former vet sounds less bunny savvy sadly. Good luck finding a decent new vet, they do exist fortunately. I must add too that your gorgeous Mr Fluffers looks a lot like my equally fluffy Bilbo :love:

I'd look for another vet. My vet is lovely and even though P&H were closing the doors and turning the lights off, and companion care receptionist were packing up, they were so patient with me and he didn't charge me for certain things and answered all my questions..was only when I went to reception to pay, I realised how long we had been discussing Pebbles care. And the receptionist was lovely too and didn't rush me when I asked about nail clinic at which point I realised they were meant to have shut 10 mins before :oops:

Wasn't the Royston Branch by any chance :/

Unfortunately you are exactly right :( If they don't want to give correct care they should have notices saying the species they do not treat at that branch.

We are so limited around here for decent care. I'm furious and I'm not going quietly.

Goodness knows what )*&^% :censored: care they have given to the people with even less knowledge than me.

I was just thinking - 52.95 was exact price if my last spay. I've had a couple if issues with my vet if its the same one I use...

Im guessing its the same practice but probably a different branch. The spey price is £2.05 less than all the other four vets around here but thats no excuse. If they don't want to treat certain species they should say before we book them in.

Ive definately had all trust destroyed, as last week the same practice but different branch left one of my foster buns that I had to take in for spey on scales without holding onto them. That bun ended up in a sink of water soaked to skin prior to spey. That could have been counted as a mistake. But *&^%$ :censored:service from 2 of said practices branches = &^%$% :censored: animal care.

So far thats Wendle, you & I that have had issues with this practice make you wonder how many more people have suffered the same :(

I've already emailed a complaint about the arrogant sod I had to deal with at the emergency out of hours clinic :/

I've already emailed a complaint about the arrogant sod I had to deal with at the emergency out of hours clinic :/

Can someone explain to me HOW can a bunny whose partner had passed away who was at the vets with her when she died he went into stasis also they started treating him let him home on the weds I had to take him to the emergency vet on the Sunday BUT it wasn't my usual vet when I got there and he told me this.....your bunnys must be going into stasis because of the environment they live in wtf ..

Can someone explain to me HOW can a bunny whose partner had passed away who was at the vets with her when she died he went into stasis also they started treating him let him home on the weds I had to take him to the emergency vet on the Sunday BUT it wasn't my usual vet when I got there and he told me this.....your bunnys must be going into stasis because of the environment they live in wtf ..

Utter tosh Wendle, you must be furious.

OMG I am absolutely disgusted on your behalf. I would really have tore a stripe of her, had I been stood in front of her when she was talking such nonsense. And as for couldn't be bothered to discuss with you afterwards, well my take then would have been, that I couldn't be bothered to pay until I started getting some decent service. I'm not too sure an email will get much of a response, as a proper letter of complaint needs to go to the Practice Manager, as she/he is unlikely to even see the email. I had an incident with a vets, which involved a senior partner not examining my poor bun properly, and causing him unneccesary suffering which nearly resulted in his death. On confronting this guy face to face, and at one point having him up against the wall, as he tried to talk his way out of it, and really making a show of him during a busy evening surgery, I was obviously getting nowhere. However, when the Practice Manager received my letter, things really kicked off for him then. She was brilliant and had an immediate meeting with him, a full investigation was carried out as to what went wrong, and policies and procedures immediately changed to prevent it happening again. I was also as a gesture of goodwill, refunded all my monies, but the fact they caused Roger so much suffering means there will never be any goodwill to them on my part. Actually, even after all that I was still out for his blood so to speak, and so then I made another formal complaint about him to The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, which can all be done online. I really would urge all of you that have encountered similar bad practice to take this same action, because the RCVS takes all this really seriously. You can read on their website about vets who have had action taken against them, and they really do name and shame them. Some have been declared not fit to practice and had their qualification revoked, been suspended, had enforced additional training, and the surgeries themselves are subjected to more regular checks, and monitored a lot more closely. Please, please, please make these formal complaints, especially about your appalling vet and surgery. Things can only be done and the much needed training and changes made for our buns, if the relevant people are made aware of the situation, and having been through the formal complaints procedures myself, I can honestly say it works, I owed it to Roger to have the idiot vet dragged over the coals for what he did, or rather didn't do, and not only that, it means future bunny clients, won't have to go through the same thing, and will get better care and treatment.

That's awful! I know its not really about the money as such, but if you only turned up with the cash enough for her spay and didn't have the extra 30, I bet they'd of had something to say about that! Take this as far as you can!

Unfortunately you are exactly right :( If they don't want to give correct care they should have notices saying the species they do not treat at that branch.

We are so limited around here for decent care. I'm furious and I'm not going quietly.

Goodness knows what )*&^% :censored: care they have given to the people with even less knowledge than me.

I use the main Barnsley branch. One if my boys was SPAYED there. The next two boys I had done died after neuter - one in the carrier on the way home from his 3 day check.
I've def lost confidence in them.
Cudworth branch is supposed to be the best

Reading all of this I'm horrified, I hope you all find a different vet and get an apology- your poor buns :(

I use the main Barnsley branch. One if my boys was SPAYED there. The next two boys I had done died after neuter - one in the carrier on the way home from his 3 day check.
I've def lost confidence in them.
Cudworth branch is supposed to be the best

I always use Cudworth Angie , but if the regular one is off I always ask first who is filling in because there's 2 I definitely won't take mine to :wave:

I always use Cudworth Angie , but if the regular one is off I always ask first who is filling in because there's 2 I definitely won't take mine to :wave:

It's a pity we can't get a exotics vet over in barnsley somewhere :)

Back