• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question.

abi2013

Alpha Buck
Ok, so I have heard from a friend that her friends mum has bought their little sister a rabbit a couple of weeks ago and the kid has lost interest already... they joked about taking it to the woods at night and setting it free :(
Obviously I cannot let this happen and have told them to bring the rabbit to me and I'll be more than happy to take it on or find it a better home. All I know about the rabbit is that it is a male and young (probably about 13 weeks ish)

My question is that I already have a male bun in my room.. both will be un-neutered and was wondering if another male being in my room will upset him? Obviously I know they cannot go together, but will they still react to eachother when their kept separate? Also would it be ok to let them out together to free roam under close supervision? Or must they be apart at all times?
I've never had 2 buns at the same time before, and I know 2 males is certainly not ideal but can't see this bun be thrown out in this freezing weather.

Any tips or suggestions would be massively helpful, waiting for a phonecall now

thanks

I'm not sure how much they will affect each other if kept seperately, especially if they can see each other..but I wouldn't take the risk of letting them free range together even if supervised. They are bound to be hormonal and territorial as they are un-neutered and will probably fight. And bucks fighting can be pretty vicious.

No to letting them out together, even supervised. A new and un neutered buck will seem like a threat to your current rabbit and they could do some serious damage to each other. It would be even more of a 'problem' with 2 un neutered boys. To have them at that stage it would have to be both of them neutered, wait around 6 weeks for hormones to go completely and bond in a small, neutral area. If you plonk him for exercise with your rabbit now then it could end pretty badly tbh.

As said, territorial behaviours will be a big thing, especially with un neutered boys, you'll probably get poo and wee all over the place. And thumps.

Not sure how they will react, could he go in the bathroom or something to keep the peace? If they can get to each other through bars then I would try and fit him somewhere else, even through bars, noses and faces could be damaged.

What is wrong with people :roll: I swear people are being born with a major lack of brain cells.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyones replies, you all pretty much confirmed what I was thinking really.
Have set him up a temp puppy pen downstairs in my front room (much to my Dad's dismay) haha, really don't want to stress out the new boy anymore than neccessary and obviously don't want to stress out Moo (my bun) either. Have called a lady I used to work for, she used to breed show rabbits, but has stopped now, she has a pair of females in a massive shed/runaround/run setup and has agreed to take on the new baby, she knows loads about rabbits and the setup is lovely so have no worries regarding that. She'll keep them separate until he can be neutered and then she's going to attempt to bond them into a trio :) can't believe how fast I managed to get all of this worked out haha.
New bun will be staying with me until the weekend so she has time to adapt the shed to make him a separate area until he is fixed. He's arriving tomorrow morning, the woman sounded completely uncaring on the phone and obviously just sees the bun as a huge burden :( why can't people just buy their kids TOY rabbits, seeing as that's pretty much how some of them are treated :(
Probably thinks I'm the stupid one for caring so much :roll:

Thanks again everyone :thumb: Glad at least one more bun in need is sorted now

Back