• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Taking 2 buns to the vets

J&R

Mama Doe
Any tips? I read early on when I got my second bun that it was best to take them in together so as they are both due their vaccinations booked them an appointment together.
After half an hour of trying to get them both into the same carrier I arrived at the vets five minutes late for my appointment covered in mud and fur, with blood pouring out of my hand and had to tell them 'Fiver decided he didn't want to come today' :oops:

I tried taking them in separate carriers too but he wasn't having any of it. How do other people manage please?

Are they a bonded pair :) if so I always take both mine together for everything even if only one has To go , or if one has to stay in the vets they always go and stay together :)

If they are a bonded pair it is always best for them to go to the vets together as it can be stressful for them the journey and what is going to happen so they can comfort each other. To get them used to going in a carrier, I would recommend putting a carrier in their setup which they can go in and out of freely so they associate it as a safe place then when it comes to taking them to the vets they might hopefully just hop in on their own accord :) :thumb:

Yes they are but if one goes in the carrier as soon as the other one goes in the first one pops out again! It's a massive carrier so it's not a space issue, both of them together don't even fill half the carrier!

I put one in then close the carrier till I catch the other one or mine would keep jumping back out :wave:

I got Rosie in ok and shut the door but Fiver does not like being touched at all so when I picked him up to put him in he went mental and gave me massive scratches while I opened the door to put him in at which point Rosie took advantage and barged her way out.
I think perhaps it is either a two person job or I need to get them more used to the carrier, I did leave it out in their run for a few days but it doesn't seem to have worked.

For now I've had to book Fiver a separate appointment for tomorrow - that should be fun, wish me luck!

I bought a new carrier (as my old one was unsuitable) and keep it in their shed. Now I can chuck pellets in and they'll go in, which will make it easier at vet time. Otherwise just try to get them into a smaller and smaller space, then pop them in one by one. I get someone to hold the carrier and open/shut the door so it's easier. I also don't show them the carrier - I have it outside of the shed so I pick one up, put her in, and the other one has no idea that she's gone in the carrier so she doesn't run off!

stand the carrier up on its end and open the door, catch Fiver first and put him in and then close the door. You need to lean it against the wall/in the corner/make sure it can't fall over and then catch Rosie and put her in, hopefully the bigger distance to jump means Fiver should stay inside it and then you very gently lower the carrier so its flat on the floor :thumb:
Obviously you need to be very careful when doing this but unless he is huge they should be ok :)

:lol: you'll have to get the vet to dart him :lol: I lost count of the number of times I had to cancel vets appointments because my cat was hiding somewhere :lol:

It's getting him to the vets that's the problem! Luckily they were very understanding about his no show 2 days running and I think I scared him a bit yesterday so going to leave it until next week when I've regained his trust a bit.
I do have a sneaking suspicion he finds it quite funny though, I watched him out the window sitting in the carrier and the second I got close he nipped out and did a giant binky before running off :lol:

Outdoor buns with a run of 15 x15 ft. Yesterday he squeezed past me and jumped over the carrier I used to block the entrance so had the whole garden in which to evade me, bless him :roll:

I'm going to leave the carrier in their run all weekend and put some herbs and hay in there to get them a bit more used to it and think of it as a nice place to be.

I'm a really mean Mummy, and book early vet appointments...then they don't get their breakfast pellets till we have to go, and they only get them in the carrier. :oops::lol::lol::lol:

Works like a charm, but I have some MEGA greedy bunnies!!

I had exactly the same problem with my two. I tried everything but could not get them in the carrier at the same time. I left the carrier in their room and they were in and out of it all the time, had some pellets in there occasionally to get them used to it and seemed fine. However as soon as it came close to time to go to the vet they seemed to be able to sense it and would refuse to go near it! Even pellets didn't work and they'd do anything for pellets normally. How do they know?! Good luck with your two :)

Back