• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How high can domestic rabbits jump?

Bunnie

Warren Scout
I am making a sleeping house 7 inches (17.5cm) high and i want to know whether i should make a ramp or would she be able to jump up that high?

(btw i dont have the bunny yet so i can't test it out untill i get her in july)

I think it depends on the rabbit itself, Dizzy won't jump into his hutch so has to have a step but he can easily jump out of his run which is about 2-3 foot. Tizzy doesn't really jump onto things she would rather climb and Chalky can jump about 4 foot high as he once jumped up the fence to get over to the grass.

If I were you I would put a ramp on but make sure it has a rail along so your bunny can't fall off the ramp

and Chalky can jump about 4 foot high as he once jumped up the fence to get over to the grass.

My Poppy does that all the time!! Even if she has nice juicy grass on her side..the grass is always greener on the other side :lol::lol: I used 3ft high hardboard to partition rooms and Pebbles could jump them to get in to other parts of the house...but as they are getting older, they don't bother now.

Aw. She'll be able to jump 7 inches easily - she just might need a little time to get used to it x

Yes she'll easily be able to jump that, my Thor Jumped over 4 foot once but I think he scared himself as he never did it again! :lol:

Loki can jump from the floor onto the dining room table to steal drinks :roll::lol:

If you get a healthy young rabbit he/she will be able to jump a few feet with ease. Charlie easily jumps up onto the sofa which is nothing special for a rabbit but that will give you an indication of the height they can clear.

My other rabbit, Shimmer, never jumps up onto anything but she often binkies about 2 feet into the air!

If determined, around 4ft, and I'm not talking about rabbits that have been trained to jump :lol: You could just put a little box or something in like a step if your rabbit has problems with the height?

right out of their compounds - made of puppy pens. and my rabbits are nearly seven years old. little bunnies can jump more. i can hear the little saucepots running about upstairs. i must go and put an end to this unofficial free-ranging....
i reckon four foot easily, for mini lops, and more for young ones.

7in should be easy for most bunnies! My bunnies jumped right out of their pen when they were really tiny (it was about 1m high). They can jump most heights if they want to. Unfortunately they much prefer jumping up but are quite scared about jumping down - they loved to go racing up the stairs but neither of them could ever get down again! They would just sit at the top looking over the top step and then shrinking back from it! :lol: Not the brightest animals...:love:

7" isn't very high for a sleeping box. My nethie crosses would struggle to be comfortable in a small space, unless it was a tunnel with open ends. Have you considered making it a little taller (say 12") - most rabbits are bigger than mine and once full of hay, you still need room for bunny.

As others have said, most buns can jump quite high - certainly 2' (the height of a sofa or step-over barrier) with no problems, if they want to. I have had some that would clear 4' easily.

Well done for the forward planning - and it's fun to make bunny stuff yourself.

Bloody high is my scientific answer to that question! Ellie can easily clear the 4 foot onto the bed in the spare room and have a feeling she'd happily jump higher if she could! :roll:

It may be nice to have a ramp but she should easily clear 7 inches :thumb:

Back