• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting bunnies back together?

Rabcat

Mama Doe
Hi all

I would be really grateful for your thoughts on a predicament that I have been pondering.

I have 7 lovely bunnies. They didn't all come together and live in 3 separate groups. One group is made up of 3 girls and a boy, then there are a brother and sister pair and finally a boy that has always lived indoors as he had head tilt when he was a baby. All of them are neutered and less than 18 months old.

However, Unfortunately two buns from different groups managed to get at each other which ended in an awful fight. :cry: Only one was injured and now has half her ear missing and a damaged foot. She has been indoors recovering from her injuries for the last 5 weeks and is doing really well now.

She lived in the group of 4 which is made up of her and her two baby girls ( not babies now though) and a boy rabbit that they all took to when I took him in.

Because she has been away from her group for a few weeks I am worried that they will not take to her again especially as she is damaged. I really am worried that they will fight.

I have been thinking about getting a companion for my boy rabbit that had the head tilt as I don't think he should be on his own.

My predicament is - should I have my injured bunny bonded back with her family and hope that they will take to her again or should I pair her with my indoor bunny? I really can't decide what to do for the best :?

It's a tricky one, but I'd be inclined to try bonding her with your indoor boy first, as you will then be giving him a friend and enriching his life, and also less risky of the two options.

Thank you

It's a tricky one, but I'd be inclined to try bonding her with your indoor boy first, as you will then be giving him a friend and enriching his life, and also less risky of the two options.

Thanks for your thoughts - I am leaning towards that option. It's hard not to put " human" feelings into this and worry about her missing her family! Xx

I would also try her with you indoor boy. The weather still is very chilly if she had to go back outside. Things happen for a reason.

She would probably miss them if she was going to stay alone, but if you bond her with your boy then I'm sure she wouldn't "think" about it, and your boy gets a friend :thumb:

I would also try her with you indoor boy. The weather still is very chilly if she had to go back outside. Things happen for a reason.

I did think about that as she will have to get used to outside again. I do have the hutch "water bottles" for the others - you know those things you microwave. :)

She would probably miss them if she was going to stay alone, but if you bond her with your boy then I'm sure she wouldn't "think" about it, and your boy gets a friend :thumb:

Sound soppy doesn't it! I want Flopsy to have a bun to cuddle up to as he has outgrown cuddles with me now. ;)

Back