• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet is def doing nails from now on!

bunkin

Warren Veteran
I watched loads of videos on youtube showing how to do nails, laying then on their back on your knee in a towel etc etc. did notice they all started with a very calm bunny!!

We have had two goes to try and do buns nails and he is absolutely wild when picked up. If we pen him up and then lift him and cuddle him to body he stays calm unless you try touching him, but then found out he has very thin jet black claws:shock: no idea where the quick is, so I already have vet appt tomorow aft for his claws and I can tell them def from now on they are dong it i don't care how much it costs!

His claws do not seem to grow very fast as he has been inside for a month now and they are only just past the fur.

I had got him to climb on my knee and let me stroke him so I dont' want him to associate me with nasty things. I just hope the vet can do the job!

I was going to do that, because mine have black nails too.
I just get their nails when they're both laid down so that I don't stress them out, and just cut the tiniest bit. Once you've done it a few times though it's easier and you know not to go too far. :thumb:

Its impossible to get near bun to do them as he only tolerates a second of stroking before moving away. He really does go beserk if you try and pick him up to the point where he is in danger of injury because its so difficult to keep hold of him even wrapped in a towel!

He was never ever handled for first 5 years of his life, never saw a vet or was even touched - he has come along way in last two half years as he will let people stroke him now but only for a second or two.

My vets have a complimentary free nail clinic on saturdays..so I always take mine to the vets to be done....nails is not something I would feel confident doing myself, and I'm pretty confident with buns & piggies.

Its impossible to get near bun to do them as he only tolerates a second of stroking before moving away. He really does go beserk if you try and pick him up to the point where he is in danger of injury because its so difficult to keep hold of him even wrapped in a towel!

He was never ever handled for first 5 years of his life, never saw a vet or was even touched - he has come along way in last two half years as he will let people stroke him now but only for a second or two.

Bless him, I bet he's glad to be with you now though. I hope he doesn't get too stressed out at the vets. :)

Spenser always goes to the vet for this. Last time the vet had to retrieve Spenser from my head in the middle of the procedure. His lordship is not fond of having his feet meddled with. :roll:

Spenser always goes to the vet for this. Last time the vet had to retrieve Spenser from my head in the middle of the procedure. His lordship is not fond of having his feet meddled with. :roll:

I am more nervous than if it was me going to the dentist for a root canal filling:roll: Really I would prefer to hand him over and not be in the room at the time, think I may ask if I can do this if there is a vet nurse available or my husband is brave enough to help vet. He is even more of a wuss than I am with bunny!

I am hoping that he only needs his nails doing about every 10-12 weeks but whatever I am NOT going near them! and will happily pay. This appt is a free one as bunny health checks are free at moment and nail clipping comes under this.

On most of the videos online the rabbits are tranced, which is very stressful and not good for them. So I use another person to help. I wrap bunny securely in a towel with the open part around their underside, and put them in a sitting position on someone's lap. The person does have to hold them securely and stay calm so would have to be an adult. Then I kneel in front of them and take one paw out at a time and clip it. If the rabbit seems stressed, I'll just do the front or back, whichever needs doing most, and do the others another day.

It is hard with black nails, shining a light on them helps. Also, if you squeeze the nail with the clippers before cutting, the rabbit should flinch/move if you are going to cut the nerve. So I go 'paw out, look at nails for the quick. Squeeze, cut, next nail. Squeeze, cut, next nail' etc.

All done phew. The vet and vet nurse did it and they wrapped him in a towel on the table. He only needed his front nails clipping and then only just so as he has been a housebun for a month already vet thinks he will only need them doing every 3 months or so. He was very twitchy but much better behaved than when we tried to do it, I think strange surroundings worry him so he is less wild!

They also weighed him and he has put back his 0.6lb he had lost:thumb:, the new food has obviously helped as he was losing weight on the old one slowly but surely.

He muched his food as soon as he came home so hope he is not too stressed.

Because it took two of them it cost me just over £6 , worth every penny.

Back