• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are bunnies colour-blind?

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
I thought I'd read somewhere that they were but Dizzi can certainly pick out bright pink when she wants to .... and she HATES it!!

Just nipped out to give them their tea and as I couldn't be bothered going to get my coat I stuck my bright pink dressing gown on ... went outside and Dizzi freaked out, she was proper scared, running all over the place, thumping and I could just see the fear in her eyes, she ran and hid in the garden and wouldn't come out.

I came back indoors and took the d/gown off and put my black coat on and she was ok with that!

Hubby reminded me that she's done it before when I've had my d/gown on, I'd forgotten about it but he's right.

Thing is, I go out there all the time in a morning with my white dressing gown on and it doesn't bother her one bit!!

Has anyone else had similar experiences with colours and their buns??

I've noticed that twice Doughnut has been frightened when I've worn a certain dress, sandals or the smell of a different perfume.

Does your dress gown smell different? I don't think it's the colours as much as the smells. My dress is sparkly so makes noise when I walk, like my sandals so wasn't sure if she was frightened of the sound. I know she is normally frightened of some smells but fireworks etc don't bother her. She hates the smell of washing since their sense of smell is very good so probably too overpowering for her.

Not sure about the colour really but it could definitely be that she associates the dressing gown with something unpleasant. Boris used to hide under the sofa every time I entered the living room in my PJ's, as he knew that meant he'd soon be put back in his cage for the night :lol:

I am never had an experience with color with a rabbit but Raul the budgie is afraid of the color purple. He freaks out with purple objects or clothing. He has gotten a lot better over the years as I slowly exposed him to purple.
Is your bunny a rescue bun? Maybe someone wearing that color did something to her?

Not colour blind but they do see colour differently from us, if you search 'see colour' an old thread should come up where I explained what I'd found online in regards to what rabbits see

I specifically remember Baby having an awful reaction to me when I was wearing a pink dressing gown too, and it was the first time she'd seen me in it so no bad experiences (had her since birth so I know she's not seen anyone else in one too), and I can't imagine it smelled any different, strange

My matilda hates the colour orange!! she is fine around all the cats, but if ruby or lola go near her she runs and strikes at them, and they are ginger cats, didn't notice it at first but its definetly an orange thing!

Not colour blind but they do see colour differently from us, if you search 'see colour' an old thread should come up where I explained what I'd found online in regards to what rabbits see

I specifically remember Baby having an awful reaction to me when I was wearing a pink dressing gown too, and it was the first time she'd seen me in it so no bad experiences (had her since birth so I know she's not seen anyone else in one too), and I can't imagine it smelled any different, strange

Interesting, in her old home Nutmeg used to attack the girl there who had very curly ginger hair. I wonder if it was to do with the colour.

Yes we've had similar! We put a red fleece blanket down on the carpet and all 3 house buns (out at different times) were very wary of it! They'd stop at it as if they had got to the edge of a cliff, and would stretch as far as they could to it with their ears forward in investigating pose. They'd find the edge and walk round it. Frankie eventually carefully stood on it with me in the middle but the others wouldn't. They have never been bothered by any others down at all. I wonder if there is something in it, as your bright pink and my red blanket would be similar.

Interesting, in her old home Nutmeg used to attack the girl there who had very curly ginger hair. I wonder if it was to do with the colour.

So pink and orange seem to be unpopular with bunnies :lol:

Maybe that's why thriantas tend to be a bit arsey with each other :lol:

Doughnut has a bright pink fleece with black paws on it, she loves it and sleeps on it. It's probably the colour of my signature.

I haven't got any ginger haired friends so can't comment on that. There must be some people on here with red hair who have buns.

Back