• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please, think my bunny is sick

Kit.pike

Young Bun
I feed my 5 rabbits at the same time everyday and they all go straight for the food when it is put in the hutches, they are outside rabbits. Anyway one of my bunnies who is about 5 called Honey wasn't interested in her food at all, I tried her with hay, carrot, etc but she didn't want anything, she is moving around however she looks really miserable.
I have brought her in and I have some critical care food left from when she was spayed last year and have started to syringe feed her.
I cannot take her to the vets until tomorrow morning.

What could it be?

Any help would be great please!

Has she eaten anything by choice rather than forced and has she pooped at all in the last couple of hours? if the answer in no to either of those things then she really needs to see a vet as an emergency I'm afraid.

I hope she feels better soon :wave:

Do you have a neighbour/friend who could take you to the vet or look after your baby whilst you go? Rabbits go downhill so quickly and it really sounds as though you need an emergency vet visit.

Firstly I am going to apologise in case this comes across harsh, I promise its coming from a good place!

If you wait till tomorrow, Honey has a very high chance of dying!
She is in dia need to see the vet,it sounds as though she is in statis which if not treated straight away can be fatal!
Syringe feeding is all well and good when you KNOW what the problem is, if she has stopped eating due to a blockage you would only be causing her more problems!

I have a little boy who is 19 months old, so believe me I know how hard it can be but for the sake of Honey's life you need to bundle your little one up and get Homey to the vet.
They will check her over and if no blockage is found they should give her

Metaclopramide and or Zantac- gut stimulants
Ketofen or Metacam- pain relief- this is essential so dont take no for an answer!

Please get Honey to the vets NOW!

I have just been upstairs and honey is drinking and was eating the carrot when I was holding it, and carried on afterwards. I will see how she is in the morning and see how much she has eaten, now she has eaten some carrot it looks like a good sign.

Glad she has had a bit of a nibble, however, I would still be inclined to get her to a vet as soon as possible.

If you have any infacol in the house you try giving her a small amount as this can help with gas which rabbits can get.
It might be worth asking your vet if you can have some metacam and the oral gut stimulant at home to administer in case of an emergency, though I only administer the meds after I've spoken to the emergency vet on the phone.
Sending lots of nomming vibes xxxx

Hi, just to let you know I took Honey to the vet today and they advised it is a respiratory infection and gave her some gut stimulate, antibiotics and some food which is high in fibre to get her weight up etc.
She is fine though much better now, she has been eating and loving the cabbage which is great.
I was wondering I forgot to ask is it contagious?

Thanks

Back