• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leo's claw came out..

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
Bless him! Never seen bunny blood before!

I was as cool as a cucumber though, while my bf freaked out.

We went to cut his claws. He can't hear us so when he eventually saw us he shot off, only this time he obviously hurt himself.

When I finished his back claws I noticed blood on my bf's arm, then on his joggers.. Then on my little Leo's paw :(

So my bf had a mini freak out while I just sat there.. "Oh.. Hmmm, do you have any corn flour? And warm water please, I'll clean it up" .. :lol:

I cleaned it up and that was that :) Leo is fine and I am still unfazed :lol:

When should I be thinking about the vets if they are needed? Should we take him anyway? It's stopped bleeding now, should I just clean it a few more times?

Poor Leo, but good he seems OK. I would phone the vet tomorrow morning, do the claws grow back - I'm not sure?

I've always just kept an eye on the paw for any signs of infection. Did the whole claw come off or did you just cut into the quick?

Poor Leo, but good he seems OK. I would phone the vet tomorrow morning, do the claws grow back - I'm not sure?

We actually made him an appointment for Wednesday I think, on Friday, to have his teeth checked and general MOT but I don't know if that would be leaving it too long. We can probably get him in on Monday and take him if he needed to. I've never had anything like this happen before so a bit confused :lol:

I have no idea, I don't even know how he did it tbh. My bf said his claw was loose and it just came out, I don't know if he knocked it on the dog bed or wall or something.

I keep checking on him and his paw but he's just munching on hay whenever I go in.

I've always just kept an eye on the paw for any signs of infection. Did the whole claw come off or did you just cut into the quick?

It just came out, the whole thing. I think he caught it on something when he ran off but what I don't know. I didn't even get to cut it as my bf felt it and it came out in his hand so I cut the rest of the paw and then cleaned it up.

I gave it a good clean and dabbed it with the flour but he doesn't seem fazed by it at all which is probably why I'm not worrying too much, I'm going to give it another hour and give it another clean.

Rabbits do this quite a lot. Grimlock did it by climbing over an old PC monitor, his claw got stuck in one of the vents and he pulled it out. He wasn't phased either, but he did flick blood all over my kitchen. :roll:

I would say if you're taking him anyway on Friday that would be fine.

Iggy pulled out a claw a while ago. I cried and rang the vet in a panic. He was fine and vet said to bring him in if he was in discomfort but otherwise they do it a lot. :)

I wouldn't worry about the vets thee same happened to my little mini and I was worried about the blood too. What you need to do is get a towel that you don't mind getting mucked up on. The hold the bunny tight enough so they wont let free and make blood everywhere! Then hold the paw tightly like you would a human and let it stop :D

Back