• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to keep pen door shut?

helennnnnn

Wise Old Thumper
Hopscotch has become quite the escape artist recently. One day last week I came home from work, and the door to his pen was open. He only has access to the one room anyway because all the doors were shut. But it's not exactly 100% safe, as he likes to get on top of his pen etc and I worry about him injuring himself. Today he got out again.

Ever since he first escaped his pen, over a year ago, I've been tying it shut with string so that he can't get the door open. But on a few occasions he seems to have undone the string :shock: Today he had just chewed through the string :roll:

I tied a new bit of string on just now. As soon as I did, he started chewing it! :roll:

What else could I use :? We have the cable tie things but they obviously have to be cut off to let him out, and would end up going through several a day.

I can't really put something in front of the pen door to stop him, because the pen can be moved (and he does move it!), so he could easily pull the side away from what I've put in front of it.

Last edited:
What about a small twist of garden wire....I've just used it to tie a few panels together. It's nice and strong, easy to use and non chewable

Bulldog clip? You can get things like cable ties that can be undone and reused as well.

What about a small twist of garden wire....I've just used it to tie a few panels together. It's nice and strong, easy to use and non chewable

Hmmm that's an idea, I'll have a look in the garage/shed tomorrow and see what we've got!

Bulldog clip? You can get things like cable ties that can be undone and reused as well.

I'd be worried he might dig at the bulldog clip and it move/ping off! :shock: Hmmm I'll have a Google for reusable cable ties then! :)

Ski clips. If they work for chinchillas they'll work for rabbits. :thumb:

Hmm, apparently they're called carabiner clips...

carabiner-clip-assorted-a61.jpg

I've just ordered a pack of 5 carabiners off eBay for a couple of quid. I wonder how long it'll take him to work out how to open them... :lol:

:thumb: hopefully not too long...you also get the ones that have a little screw over the clip area you can twist/screw closed....

Back