• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stuffing's in stasis! :-( Vibes please...

Kittycat

Young Bun
He stopped eating this morning, stopped pooing this afternoon. Rushed to emergency vets, been given all the usual stasis stuff, plus he had a painkilling jab which has made him really sleepy. :( Luckily I managed to get a good syringe full of Critical Care down him before he got too zonked, but am now horribly worried that we should be feeding him through the night, when we now can't because he's too drowsy and it could choke him. :roll:

My poor boy. :cry: He's has so many horrible things to cope with in his short life, he just seems to lurch from one crisis to another. That's why I rarely post about him on here, I just don't want to jinx it when he's good.

Oh, he's waddled a few feet from the lovely bed I made for him next to my bed ..typical Stuffy.

Gonna be a long night I fear. :(

What's the painkiller he's had that's made him so drowsy? An opiate?

Did he get sub cut fluids? Bunnies in stasis are normally dehydrated.

Sending mega mega vibes xxxx

I know it's horrible having to syringe feed them through the night, but we have done it in the past and we do take it slowly, a 5ml syringe worth of critical care would normally take about 20-30 mins to get into them.

Sending vibes to Stuffy. xxxxxx
I hope that tomorrow is better for him. Fingers crossed. x

You say that you rarely post on here, please feel at ease to post more often.

We are here to help, advise and support.

Take care. x

Oh no!!!

Lots of vibes for the lovely Stuffing, he was a poorly CRRC bun wasn't he? I'll mention it at work tomorrow and you will get all of their good wishes too xxx

Thanks you two.

Yes Sarah, was an opiate. Embarrassed to say I didn't catch the name, but when I phoned back to say that he'd crashed out, they told me then that it was an opiate and that yes, he would be sleepy.

He wasn't given fluids, but mine don't usually get them when early in stasis. Do other buns get them as routine then?
Stuffy did get put on a drip when he had a massive blockage 15 months ago, but not since.

Can I cheat and syringe him extra water? Or will the watery critical care be ok?

I would definitely syringe fluids in preference to the food, but obviously you've got to be careful with him being zonked out. I've never syringed a bunny that's not fully awake... I remember hearing a bunny tummy gurgle into life with water being syringed in.

Something I've found brilliant for stasis is peppermint tea, if you have any about. Obviously cooled down to room temperature or very slightly warmer.

Best of luck x

And thanks to you peeps too!

Yep Hele, he is one of the rescues Xmas day batch from 2 years ago. He's the one with no incisors, but whose tooth roots decided to grow again in his skull and block his tear ducts. They didn't grow enough do that the vets could safely take them out though, so poor Stuffers is left with soggy eyes most days.
And he needs frequent dentals for his molars which don't have all the opposite teeth so can't grind down naturally.
This stasis episode is a worry though. :( He had a dental 3 weeks ago and for the first time ever, we really struggled to get him eating again after. And now, here we are again. :cry:
His teeth are fine so I'm at a loss as to why it's happened. The only possible thing may be that I've been very gently changing him over from VetPet Rabbit Diet to Science Selective, and maybe thats upset his tum?
It would be awful if it is that because he loves it and his coat is shinier than I've ever seen it, and he need as much fibre as he can get, with him not being able to eat hay. (I know that there are gummy bunnies out there who can and do eat hay, but Stuffy just can't do it, no matter how hard he tries. Watching him 'eat' hay is one of the most depressing things ever. It just falls out again, and he tries so hard:( )

I'm sorry Stuffing is poorly :( sending mega vibes for him. I hope he wakes up a bit so you can give him some water xxx

Thanks everyone! :wave:

I've just tucked him up into his cage which he never uses. Even in his dozy state he looked at me like I'd gone mad, shutting him in a cage, for heavens sake! But I think he needs to be contained tonight, not roaming the house like he usually does. I need to know where to find him!

He's still sleepy to feed, so am going to grab an hours snooze and see how he is then.

Thanks again, kind people. x

Lots of vibes for stuffing! I know what you are going through, as my pebs has had two bouts of stasis in the last couple of weeks. His teeth were checked two weeks ago by another vet at the practice (by looking through scope) and I was told his teeth were fine..it had only been two weeks since his last dental. Anyway, he had GA and x-rays yesterday, and it seemed his back molar wasn't fine..a rotted molar spur, possibly missed by other vet who did last dental, or just well hidden.

If Stuffing has had trouble eating since last dental, then it is highly likely that he has re-growth of spurs or molar maloccusion...and the only way to be certain is another GA to do a thorough examination of his molars:(

I'm struggling to get Pebs to eat..syringing can be very stressfull for bun, so I'm hand feeding wet soggy pellets but he is only managing a couple every hour since I woke up at 6.

Hope Stuffing picks up soon.

I hope your lovely Stuffing is feeling better this morning, send lots more vibes xxx

He was at rescue before my time, but I doubt anyone there will forget a bun with a story like that, so when I get to work there will be lots more vibes heading your way xxx

Update 9.25 am

God, what a night! Still no poo, and he's still very zonked. I gave him CC and water and peppermint tea every couple of hours through the night. I just didn't want him to go an entire night without anything going in. :(

It was awful. He was so sleepy. I really don't think the opiate was a good idea at all.

He is now hiding in a corner, with his chin on the floor from time to time.

I just phoned the vet again and she told me that he was given Vetergesic at 7.45 last night and that it should have worn off by now. She suspects that he is stressed by all the attention and may need a break for a while.
She said that if I'm worried then I have the option of getting him admitted and put on a drip to support his cardio vascular system but that there aren't people there all day!
So I either keep him home and keep syringing him which may be counter productive, or I get him admitted with no-one keeping an eye on him.

I really don't know what to do. Help please!

What a dilemma ... I'm not sure what I would do. It's so annoying when these things happen at the weekend and there are no staff to keep an eye on him if admitted. Does he take the syringe well?

Back