• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it possible for a vet to tell how old a bun is?

Just curious if it is possible to accurately age a bun whose true age is unknown? It's just that my vet mentioned my Pebs is an "older bun" and I've only had in 3 years, so (assuming he was 1-2 years old when I aquired him) is 4-5 years considered old? I'm going to ask my vet on Monday, but just wondered if anyone else had been able to work out the age of a bun, even roughly?

I thought 4 or 5 was the prime for most rabbits, considering how long they're capable of living :? strange that is, have a word with your vet :wave:

The rescue near me says that the vet can only tell the age more or less if they are under one year of age by their teeth. Once they are older than one they go by size and body condition. An older rabbit can be in good body condition for their age and vice verses so then it is just a guess.
Raul my found budgie was judged at under one year old by the vet and I had already had him for 3 1/2 years and he didn't have his baby bars on his head when I got him.
He is just small.

Liz from RR said that she goes by the claws, when they start to twist the rabbits are 5 and upwards I think she said. As it goes 5 is often considered to be elderly by the general public, but obviously thats when you take in to account poor diet, lack of space, lack of medical attention etc, if the rabbit is cared for correctly I think I'd start thinking of a rabbit as "old" when they are over the age of 8, with 10+ being elderly

The rescue near me says that the vet can only tell the age more or less if they are under one year of age by their teeth. Once they are older than one they go by size and body condition. An older rabbit can be in good body condition for their age and vice verses so then it is just a guess.
Raul my found budgie was judged at under one year old by the vet and I had already had him for 3 1/2 years and he didn't have his baby bars on his head when I got him.
He is just small.

A vet looked at my cat Squeak recently, then looked at the records and had to ask if they were correct. Going by her teeth/body they thought she was 2 years old, she's about 8 or 9 and we've had her since a kitten :)

Liz from RR said that she goes by the claws, when they start to twist the rabbits are 5 and upwards I think she said. As it goes 5 is often considered to be elderly by the general public, but obviously thats when you take in to account poor diet, lack of space, lack of medical attention etc, if the rabbit is cared for correctly I think I'd start thinking of a rabbit as "old" when they are over the age of 8, with 10+ being elderly

Now that is interesting, because I was looking at Bugsy's claws earlier to see if they needed trimming and the toes seem to splay out a bit and I thought they looked a bit odd. And I know he is 5 in August. Poppy's toes seem to splay out too..need to have a closer look to see if it the claws, but she'll mug me for pellets if I go near her.

Forgot to say that I know Chloe is getting old...she used to be black all over, then got the odd white hair...now she has so many white hairs all over, it is really noticable..I expect she'll be completely grey by the time she reaches old age :lol:

Frances Harcourt Brown told me that you can't tell unless they are either sexually immature or very old. She said anything inbetween is guesswork and teeth etc. are no indicator.

This is interesting because Rosie was judged to be approx 2 yrs old when she went into rescue (she was a stray so no way of actually knowing) and was there 6 months before we adopted her. We make that she's 6 yrs and a couple of months, but I suppose that could be wrong then.

We think we know Ted will be 5 in August as he was apparently 10 months old when handed in to BARC.

Back