• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! Weak rabbit

SteveTheRabbit

Young Bun
Hi :wave: Im 14, and ive had quite a few rabbits in the past. Currently, i have a male and female (Steve and Juda) I got Juda at a rescue where we bonded Steve with her. They live in a 12 x 8 foot shed free range with my 6 guineapigs who are on tables! I went out to clean out the shed which takes around 3 hours. As usual, Steve was desperate for food and nudged Juda (He's really strong and big) and she just flopped down. I panicked and tried to get her up but she just lay there trying to stand for 10 seconds. I got my mum and she picked her up and i realised how thin she was:( Its my fault i didnt realise earlier, but the rabbits havn't been inside for ages because we have a moth invasion at the moment! Steve is the quickest eater and he usually finishes her bit off which i didnt think much of. She is used to taking her time eating whenever in the rescue, but steve gets half an egg cup per day. I put her in her own carrier with loads of food, veggies and hay which she ate slow until i'd finished. Now when i let both rabbits out she went and peed and then just sat in the corner of an indoor cage i have in the shed. Her eyes are half open and she seems really grumpy. Shes eating though but im still worried. Im not going to be here this evening but my mum is looking after then and will check everything. What is wrong with her? Is she just tired because its snowing here and its freezing so she might not of slept? :?

Personally I would get her to a vet ASAP if she's lost a lot of weight and isn't interested in anything :wave:

I would think that the best thing you can do for her is to take her to a Vet today

It sounds as though she has not been able to eat enough to maintain her weight, possibly because she has some problems with her teeth. So effectively she is starving :cry: In Rabbits a lack of food for whatever reason can have very serious consequences. Even if she is now eating it is obvious from your description of her behaviour that she is in some discomfort, this alone is enough to merit taking her to a Vet.

From what you have described (which is all I can go on) your Rabbit really cant wait until Monday to receive Veterinary treatment.

She need's to be bought inside immediately to get her temperature up. I would sit with a coat on, hold her against your chest and wrap it round her too, so she warms from your body heat, and try and entice her to eat some more - you can do all this while you are calling the Vet.

Good luck x

How is she doing?

I agree she needs to see a vet. Its good that she is eating but she does sound very unwell.

She may have problems with her teeth like jack's Jane has suggested
I've also seen similar symptoms in both my rabbits with liver problems. We could't save merry but bubbles has made a full recovery.

I hope you can sort it out.

Don't blame yourself, bunnies hide it when they are poorly so you can miss things until they have progressed.
You bunny needs to see a vey asap! I know they are shut but you need to get to an emergency vet as soon as you can today

Excellent advice has been given.

I hope you are able to act upon it immediately, time is of the essence and rabbits can go downhill rapidly.

Sending get well soon vibes for your bunny. xx

Any news on the little girl?

To the OP, dont be hard on yourself for not noticing straight away, bunnies are extremely good at hiding when the are poorly, this is because of their survival instinct in the wild, they are prey animals so if they were to show any sign of weakness they would become an easy target.The problem with this in pet bunnies is the fact that they hide it from us and when they do start showing signs it is usually when they have been feeling unwell for a while but can no longer hide it which then becomes an emergency. Bunnies can go down hill VERY quickly so it is essential that they see a vet at the first sign, seriously (and I dont want to scare you) but waiting can mean death for ynur bunny.

It definitly sounds lie she has been lacking food for a while and as a result has lost weight and body mass and there for strength which alone is very serious. But it could well be something else that has caused this to happen which only a vet who knows about rabbits can tell you.
Bring them both inside, get her warmed up and keep offering her food, keeping her gut mobility going is essential. Call the emergency vet and take her there, it may be advisable to take her mate too as not only will it make it less stressfull for her, if they are newley bonded you may have trouble with him accepting her back after a vet visit taken alone as she will smell different.

A couple of questions-

What feed are they on and how much?
Are they good hay eaters?

Thankyou everyone for the advice! She ate loads yesterday and today and seem's normal again. I am taking her to the vets tomorrow because my parents havent been out all day and still aren't in. My mum will take her and Steve tomorrow to check up on them both anyway because she seems OK. Also, she is eating well and we are seperating them while the eat now. For the questions, they always have hay no matter what and have 2 bins in the shed of meadow hay. They are fed a mix of Burgess and science selective in the mornings and they have a dog bowl of water. I will slightly increase Juda's for her weight gain. Steve had stasis (I think thats what its called) last Christmas and i bought him inside for the most part. Should i bring the rabbits in for a week? Since the weather here is so cold with light slow. I will post what the vet says tomorrow.
I sat with her and she seemed a bit bloated from the food, but she rested and is fine now! Also, i noticed some yellow discharge in her nostrils, but my mum says i am over reacting. The shed has a mesh panel door so they have air, but i might close it because of the weather. :?

Her symptoms do sound like she needs to see the vet (including the nasal discharge), sending vibes for the appointment.

You need to be careful bringing outdoor buns at this time of year as rabbits don't adjust well to temperature change. Bringing them in might help, but you may then need to keep them in until spring finally decides to arrive.

She sounds like she could be snufflely with the yellow discharge. I would close the mesh door to keep her from getting a draft, do you have a heat pad you could give her? she needs to be kept warm.

Good luck with her at the Vets.

Glad she's feeling better and a full check over would be a good idea.

I did find that one of my buns became grumpy outside but was much happier when we brought him inside and we have kept him in for almost a year now. His cage is in the bedroom, but he's only locked in it at nightime when we are asleep and the rest of time he free ranges in the room.

I would def get bun's nose checked. I have a snuffles bun who does get discharge but we manage it by giving her echinecea drops in her water and red raspberry leaf on her food. The vet may prescribe some baytril or septrin but neither of these worked for Evie. Evie tends to have more of snuffly nose when there's been a drop in temperature.

Im going to the vet tomorrow at 9, she is looking bad again. Eating pellets and veggies but no hay and sitting hunched. Bought bunnies inside for the night and will see tomorrow what happens. I have a feeling it could be stasis but she's eating. She has this similar face to Steve when he had it- creased and hunched. Im hoping its not too bad :( Going to give her some more food now to keep everything moving through the night. I have school so i will not be at the vets (Not allowed to get out of my math lesson..:evil:)
Going to keep them in regardless another night too. The weather is at its worst and she seems to be happier in the warm! :wave:

Sending lots of vibes xxx

Could I just ask what veggies are being fed? I know if mine have too much brocolli they get gas which is incredibly painful for them and causes them to stop eating, so our buns no longer get it. Just lots and lots of hay, a measured amount of pellets and the odd little bit of herbs.

As I said previously one of our buns was outside in huge hutch with a big run and went through stages where he was grumpy and refused food, but we brought him inside and now he runs round in circles when it's dinner time and within 2hours it's all gone. So he's now a house bunny!

Oh dear. Well we only had broccoli in... They only had a few heads each! That mixed with the big amount of pellets might have upset her stomach. Both are asleep in the warm and I'm hoping she is OK. I heard some weird noises which sounded like stomach rumbling but I might be paranoid!

She has a big appetite for pellets and has had a bit more so I'm hoping it will keep her going :? She isn't acting her usual self and seems really fragile to pick up. :cry: hoping the weight loss isn't from anything bad.. Going to bed now with ears open anything during the night :wave:

Hope she gets better soon and good luck at the vets!!

You need to keep them both inside now that they have been inside all night otherwise they will get a chill going back outside sorry I've not read the other replies so you may already know this!

Lots of healing vibes xxx

Back