• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need evidence for Baytril dosing pls!

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
My friend has a bunny with the potential start of a UTI and/or spurs! We took him to the vet who has given metacam and Baytril by injection. I queried the Baytril dose he wants to give 5mg/kg twice a day. Bunny weighs 2.2kg he gave 0.5 of 2.5% (0.5ml of a 25mg/ml solution = 12.5mg). Based on Santa's comments below I queried this, but as it doesn't say this on the manufacturers guidance he was reluctant to change the dose. So my question is does anyone have a reference for any recent vet journal articles/papers that discuss and recommend the increased once a day dose?

Injected baytril is better than oral, it has been shown to be more effective...when mine have had injected baytril though they have had up to 20mg/kg, my vets say that they are now told that baytril is best given once a day rather than twice (it works on peak concentration not overall conc) and that really aggressive doses up to 20 mg/kg give really good results - I'm not sure they'd even do anything lower than 10mg/kg any more, although I might be wrong.

For reference, Truffle didn't eat dinner last night but has eaten a few treats (Fenugreek Crunchies). He was given metacam, infacol and peppermint tea last night but his owner said he wasn't behaving like he had a tummy ache as he was bright and lively, she brought him and his partner in and she noticed he was sitting a bit odd and frequently trying to have a wee. He manage to do one in a tiny water bowl and it looked quite calcium rich. She rubbed it between fingers but it didn't feel gritty! The vet tested it but there was no blood. It's settled out a bit in the picture!

82D23102-6F89-454F-B762-43686833F2C1-11622-000005980F0E9AF0.jpg

The vet palapated him and couldn't feel any blockages and his bladder was empty, he checked his teeth and said there were a couple of spurs but no tongue ulceration etc so it could be teeth or bladder or both! My friend is to keep giving metacam and Baytril and if no change, he'll go in Monday for a dental and have a scan on his bladder at the same time!

My friend lost Co-Co in my sig. to what I will always believe was a bladder problem, I won't let it happen again, so if I need to challenge the dose I need back-up with scientific evidence!

Is she syringe feeding him while he's not eating himself?
Can't help with the bayrril dose but Jane has that covered xx

Yes his owner has some recovery food for him although he's now had a small piece of parsley and some basil!

Thank you Jane! From the Info it looks like they are generally suggesting a range of 5-10mg/kg twice a day! I found in Richard Saunders book he suggests 10mg/kg twice a day and on the Bayer/Baytrill web page it actually states...

Depending on the local registration in different countries, free choice has been left to the user in the past, to administer the entire daily dose of Baytril once a day (SID), or divide it into two applications (BID).

Recent findings suggest that it is the total dose of enrofloxacin and not the dosing frequency that is significant in determining drug efficacy and therapeutic success. It has been concluded that Baytril, like other fluoroquinolones, exhibits concentration-dependent killing activity against Gram-negative and Gram-positive pathogens relevant for small animal practice. Maintaining sufficient drug concentrations above the MIC of the pathogen during the entire treatment interval, which is necessary for anti-infectives with time-dependent antibacterial activity (beta-lactams), is of minor importance for the fluoroquinolones. Goal of Baytril therapy therefore should be to maximise plasma peak concentrations (Cmax). This can only be achieved when the total daily dose is administered in one single application daily.

Back