• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies ate the lino!!!

dutchbunny

Mama Doe
Am close to tears now as we have spend a small fortune on different options. We've tried: a large sheet, carpet tiles, wood panels and now lino. Only got it on thirsday. I was all happy because it would make things so much easier only to find this, this morning

85E5B480-790F-4DDE-8241-C445A8014636-19708-00000EF6E08133DB_zpsc5952a91.jpg

I don't know what to do anymore. I am worried about them eating it as they did with the carpet tiles.

Uh oh!!!!! Deary me.... What a bummer... :censored:

Mine chewed theirs but it was an off cut.

Have you concidered a digging box? It looks like part of it is via digging to me.
Another option would be putting hay down all over? Its really cheap from farm places if you have one close by. It looks like your set up is indoors so I don't know if this is possible.
Sorry your bunnies are destructive, must be so gutting for you. Hugs

Are they free range in the house or are they fastened in a run/pen have ya tried the foam tiles off ebay but then again if they chew everything you put down I would imagine they would chew those too :(

Are they free range in the house or are they fastened in a run/pen have ya tried the foam tiles off ebay but then again if they chew everything you put down I would imagine they would chew those too :(

No they don't free range. A. They chew EVERYTHING and B. the land lady wouldn't approve of it. She is fine with the set up we got.
Foam tiles?! That's like serving them a nice dessert :(

I have noticed that some people on hear use non slip flooring like they use for horses. Probably not cheap but bet its stronger than lino. This with a digging option may work. My two LOVE to dig. They have a cardboard box on its side with news paper thick on the bottom and shredded inside. I also put some hay in there. They dig and chew and sit in it. Also seen that some people use yellow pages for them to chew/dig at. Best of luck.:wave:

I just have them some newspaper and moses is just sitting on it.
If I got then a digging box, they turn it into a toilet. They do have a very deep toilet they can digg in.

This is their setup

D36B0F48-FFED-4106-B3CE-8FE89BAED8AF-19708-00000F015CE49A89_zpsb1cc3e41.jpg

So lots for them to chew, run through, jump on and they can go in the hutch on the side as well.
I can't give them more space than this for now as we already gave up our dining room for them.

OH is now looking at laminate.

oh no! how on earth have they managed that - it's not even at the edge!

I'm not entirely sure what to suggest. How old are the buns? Ours were fairly destructive when they first arrived, particularly once their hormones kicked in and for a while too after their speys. Have you tried a chew-stop spray? I remember having to be very persitent with them for a while (weeks, maybe even a couple of months). If they were chewing something clap to stop them, then spray it. That would last for an hour or two and then they be back, but with enough repetition they seemed to get the message eventually. Now they'll have the odd nibble on exposed corners, and the occasional dig at the carpet, but really nothing major at all.

I have the same flooring as wendle. There is a coating so bunny claws slide over. One of my buns tried digging at it and caused no damage. They have just moved in though so you never know. At such a low cost compared to laminate it could be worth trying maybe?

These are said tileshttp:// http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-SQ-FT-INTERLOCKING-FOAM-MATS-TILES-GYM-PLAY-GARAGE-WORKSHOP-FLOOR-MAT-BLACK-/221054888912?_trksid=p2046732.m2060&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D6291261102373136635%26pid%3D100040%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D230934205109%26

I'm not sure if this is an option you'd consider, but my buns have floors made of jute rugs (just placed on top of our lino floors). While my buns aren't interested in them, they are safe for them to chew in case they ever change their mind.

However, if your buns end up taking a liking to them it may cost you more in the long-run to continually replace them. But it may be an option if you can't find any alternatives they won't dig or eat!

I bought mine from Argos/B&Q (I have three in total of different sizes, as they have quite a big area as their HQ). They are tough things, very tight weave so good for their feet (and my buns still like to flop out on them), and easy to tidy up!

I have the same flooring as wendle. There is a coating so bunny claws slide over. One of my buns tried digging at it and caused no damage. They have just moved in though so you never know. At such a low cost compared to laminate it could be worth trying maybe?

They could be good if ever in the future we buy a house. There is carpet in our flat and tiles are a pain because they keep moving.

Blimey, Hopscotch nibbles on the edges but never in the middle :shock:

Is it flat enough? It looks from the bits near the pen that it's a bit bumpy? Maybe that's giving them the "chance" to get a bit to nibble through?

In your case, I'd go for some thick stable matting. I'm not sure how big it needs to be to fully encompass the whole enclosure (as you obviously don't want any exposed edges for ease of nibbling), but you can get solid pieces of thick stable matting from eBay really easily.

If you type '6 x 4 stable matting' into eBay it comes up with loads of results. This one in particular looks good to me - very strong looking: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stable-Ho...t=UK_Horse_Wear_Equipment&hash=item1e588cbceb. Something like this looks very strong too: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Horse-mat...oods_StableAccessories_SM&hash=item4d0ab823b4 They may nibble some of the bumps but I really doubt they'd be able to get through - they're very strong as long as you don't get the cheaper ones like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RUBBER-ST...oods_StableAccessories_SM&hash=item4ac2b31692. Because it's full of bits that'd be easy to dig up.

Blimey, Hopscotch nibbles on the edges but never in the middle :shock:

Is it flat enough? It looks from the bits near the pen that it's a bit bumpy? Maybe that's giving them the "chance" to get a bit to nibble through?

Yeah it keeps moving about. We flatten it, yet it still moves!!

Yeah it keeps moving about. We flatten it, yet it still moves!!

How about if you were to staple/glue the lino to a large piece of plywood and lay that flat under the pen? That may stop them being able to grab a bump and dig it, but I'd be worried about them still digging it and getting to the glue...

How about a large piece of plywood painted? Although, actually, I've found that both cuprinol shades and bathroom/kitchen wipe clean paints all bleed/fade if you get water on them. Although expensive, I think if you got a large piece of plywood and spray painted it with the plastikote outdoor sprays, it'd be perfect. You'd have to make sure they absolutely cannot access the ends though, as the paint isn't pet safe, but I can't imagine they could chew it if it was just a flat floor. While that's quite expensive, I think it's your best option! And the shades are cute, and only £8.50 on eBay. Can't imagine you'd need more than 2, you might get away with 1!

Am close to tears now as we have spend a small fortune on different options. We've tried: a large sheet, carpet tiles, wood panels and now lino. Only got it on thirsday. I was all happy because it would make things so much easier only to find this, this morning

85E5B480-790F-4DDE-8241-C445A8014636-19708-00000EF6E08133DB_zpsc5952a91.jpg

I don't know what to do anymore. I am worried about them eating it as they did with the carpet tiles.

Ive had this with scooter. He eat quite a fair bit of a lino tiles the self adhesive ones. He was alright though, thought id end up having to take him to vets but he was okay.

I put some news paper on the hole now which is distracting them at the moment. OH is thinking of just getting a big rug. Man we spent a fortune on flooring, i kid you not :(

Back