• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unwanted bunnies make me sad

Rexripley

Mama Doe
I've only had my bunnies in my life for 6/7 months now as soon as i bought my first home, and I couldn't imagine not living with them :(

So often I keep seeing people putting bunnies up for adoption because they don't have time for them anymore, full time jobs, kids etc

I don't think these are excuses? Definitely making me sad especially this time of year with all the Easter bunnies that will be bought.

If I won the lottery I'd set up a rabbit rescue, until then donations to the local shelters will have to do :(

I really wish there was a rabbit rescue near aberdeen I could help out at.

I find myself looking at rescue ads and thinkin if only..........

i find myself boring colleagues to tears with bunny talk and my friend in work has adopted a wee girly bun for her wee boy.... Nice to see another rescue in a good home...

Fee xxx

I find myself looking at rescue ads and thinkin if only..........

i find myself boring colleagues to tears with bunny talk and my friend in work has adopted a wee girly bun for her wee boy.... Nice to see another rescue in a good home...

Fee xxx

I know I look at sites every day, thinking "one more wont hurt" but where does it stop?

Exactly!! I had one, then got a partner, one died, i got another two to make a trio and thought about one more....

No No No.... My hubby would divorce me.. He thinks 3 is far too many.. Thinks i am mad... as much as. love my bunnies, i love and respect my hubby and have to respect his wishes too.....

I bore ppl with bunny talk, i know they dont care but i cant help it! I do find the ads sad more so the ones that are obviously being neglected:cry: I think some of them are genuine, but i think ppl do just get them on a whim for their kids and i dont think they are animals for kids! Not young kids anyway, i am always watching my girls, i dont let them play with Bella, they know she is not a toy and is not to be pulled about, i have to watch Zephie more as she is only 3 and she is naughty anyway but Holly is such a kind little girl and would never hurt a fly. I think pet shops should not be allowed to sell live animals i just think its wrong! I saw an add on one of the sites a while ago, it must of been for rabbits or hutches as thats all i seem to look at recently but they had 2 kittens in there behind a glass screen! I didnt think they were allowed to sell kittens anymore?

Exactly!! I had one, then got a partner, one died, i got another two to make a trio and thought about one more....

No No No.... My hubby would divorce me.. He thinks 3 is far too many.. Thinks i am mad... as much as. love my bunnies, i love and respect my hubby and have to respect his wishes too.....

Id like 4 but hubby says 3 is enough.... even though he did say the other wk i could have another one for inside he has gone back on that one but im sure i could wangle another if i wanted to, but i would like to get some savings in the bank for if any vet bills should arrise in the future before i consider getting a 4th :thumb:

No way would my hubby agree to another one....I had actually thought about saying that i FOUND one roaming about but couldnt live with myself for lying... Honesty is the best policy,,.:lol:

Id like 4 but hubby says 3 is enough.... even though he did say the other wk i could have another one for inside he has gone back on that one but im sure i could wangle another if i wanted to, but i would like to get some savings in the bank for if any vet bills should arrise in the future before i consider getting a 4th :thumb:

Haha, by boyfriend says when we move into a bigger house I can have more. He's bunny crazy as well and every time I send him for hay or anything he comes back with treats/toys :) <3

I think in some cases they are very valid reasons. Were it not for the fact that my mum has graciously given up one of her spare bedrooms my two would be in foster care due to a change in circumstances, which I couldn't have predicted.

Things happen, without warning and at the end of the day if people no longer have the time or space to care for their rabbits then they should be rehomed. People can't win. If they give up their animals for valid reasons they're thought of as selfish or uncaring for not thinking about every single potential outcome for their entire life, to ensure they could care for their rabbits, but if they moved their rabbits to a smaller enclosure or said they never had any interaction with them as they had no time or much less space they'd also be cruel and uncaring.

*waits to be shouted at*

I think in some cases they are very valid reasons. Were it not for the fact that my mum has graciously given up one of her spare bedrooms my two would be in foster care due to a change in circumstances, which I couldn't have predicted.

Things happen, without warning and at the end of the day if people no longer have the time or space to care for their rabbits then they should be rehomed. People can't win. If they give up their animals for valid reasons they're thought of as selfish or uncaring for not thinking about every single potential outcome for their entire life, to ensure they could care for their rabbits, but if they moved their rabbits to a smaller enclosure or said they never had any interaction with them as they had no time or much less space they'd also be cruel and uncaring.

*waits to be shouted at*

No shouting from me :lol: I definitely agree that there are cases where it is fairer to put them for fostering, but it seems to be more common that they are abandoned or just unwanted :(

I torture myself by going on gumtree and preloved

Children cant be bothered, dont have the time... All the usual cases and some just plain neglect..

There will always be genuine cases but sadly they seem outnumbered by the cant be ar:censored:

I had to give up several of my rabbits once:(
I just ended up with too many. I had room for them but I had no time to tame them or give them the proper care they needed.
I only have three now and only the oldest is really tame since I didn't have time for them when they were babies.

I had to give up several of my rabbits once:(
I just ended up with too many. I had room for them but I had no time to tame them or give them the proper care they needed.
I only have three now and only the oldest is really tame since I didn't have time for them when they were babies.

i have three just now, but only two of them are bonded, wee alfies on his own and i feel bad but dont think id have the time for four. i spend most of my time as it is with those three and fall behind on house work and everything else :lol:

Back