• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Successful (ish) nail trimming attempt

Rexripley

Mama Doe
In the past I've always used my vet for the buns nail trims. Bruce was always good there until he was neutered but when we went back last time he wouldn't stop hugging me then screamed when the vet took him :'(. (Horrible hearing a bunny scream) so we decided it would be better for me to do it, and what a good boy he was tonight!! Managed most of them apart from his two inner front ones tonight, ill get them tomorrow :)
Maybe he has bad memories of the vet?

IMG_20130322_214841_zps20cb499e.jpg

The inner ones are a nightmare especially if the rabbit isn't being very cooperative, much harder to guess where the quick is on the inner nails of dark furred rabbits

Keep practicing and eventually you'll be able to do it within seconds. With regular furred rabbits you can just not cut past the fur on the paw and you wont hit the quick but that probably wont work for rex bunnies :lol:

The inner ones are a nightmare especially if the rabbit isn't being very cooperative, much harder to guess where the quick is on the inner nails of dark furred rabbits

Keep practicing and eventually you'll be able to do it within seconds. With regular furred rabbits you can just not cut past the fur on the paw and you wont hit the quick but that probably wont work for rex bunnies :lol:

I haven't attempted my other two yet, they have fluffy paws and white nails so will be easier to do :)

I see from your footer you say to ask about rabbit jumping

I've been looking into teaching my wee Alfie, any links to good sites you would recommend or any tips?

I haven't attempted my other two yet, they have fluffy paws and white nails so will be easier to do :)

I see from your footer you say to ask about rabbit jumping

I've been looking into teaching my wee Alfie, any links to good sites you would recommend or any tips?

Yeah :) Well with white nails, just don't go past the red vein, it's with darker nailed bunnies it's difficult and you can use the length of their fur on their paws as a guide

And yeah sure :) Our website is www.RJUK.moonfruit.co.uk although it's moving soon, there's also a link to our facebook group on the website so if you're on facebook have a look, it's a very active group and if you have any questions it's probably the best place to ask :)

Well done. Malteser needs his doing but I panic so much every tim, I don't want to hurt him! All my buns hive white nails so I am just being a great big wussy scardey cat!

:thumb: Well done! Bella's nails are horrific at the moment, she can't be held at all as she freaks out to the point where I get worried that she'll hurt herself...usually her front paws can be done while she's sitting on the floor, but the others...:( So difficult. She's the loveliest rabbit ever when safely on the floor, but if you try to handle her, all hell breaks loose.

Back