• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help UPDATE

RafaelIsCoolButRude

Warren Scout
Hey guys, I just really need some advice about what to do. Basically, my bunny seems really rather poorly. He isn't eating and I've checked his litter box and he hasn't pooped either. Every evening I open up his cage and he hops out and has an explore. Tonight I gave him his dinner and opened the cage but he didn't want to come out. Very strange. Usually he will nibble on his food and eat his veg (although he only got a tiny slice of cucumber tonight because that's all I had left!) and then he will come out like normal. But he just did not want to know tonight. He just stayed in his cage. At first I didn't think much of it, but now (a few hours later) I have grown quite worried. I picked him up (and this usually is quite a struggle) but he just let me pick him up and put him on my bed. Now he is just lying next to a teddy bear I have and he hasn't moved since! He seems a bit shaky too :cry:
Sorry to go on, but any advice you have will be much appreciated :) thank you
Xx

Last edited:
Sorry to say but if he isnt eating or pooing and very lethargic,... Get him to a vet asap... Bunnies go downhill rapidly if they dont eat and their digestive system can seize up in a matter of hours...

Please please dont delay... he needs urgent assistance from a vet. It could prove fatal if you dont

Good luck
fee xxx

Sorry to say but if he isnt eating or pooing and very lethargic,... Get him to a vet asap... Bunnies go downhill rapidly if they dont eat and their digestive system can seize up in a matter of hours...

Please please dont delay... he needs urgent assistance from a vet. It could prove fatal if you dont

Good luck
fee xxx

Exactly as I feared. I'll get him there first thing. Xx

As Fee has said you really need to get bunny to a vet ASAP sounds like your bunny has stasis :cry:

its horrible to say this but he may not last till the morning... If he has been like this for hours already without food and water, it may be too late if you delay....

I know i sound like a broken down record but I lost my bunny in december as I left him too long and he was put to sleep. He had heart failure and. huge mass in his abdomen,,, I was naive... and i regret it..

All the very very best..... fingers crossed....

I can only mirror what others have said. He cannot wait until morning. Stasis can kill a bun in a few hours. I hope you manage to get him to a vet soon. x

Absolutely agree with Fee's advice, it sounds like your bunny could already be into quite bad stasis already I'm afraid.

I'd ring your vets now as they probably have an answerphone on with the number of the out-of-hours emergency vet. It sounds like an absolute emergency. Good luck!

Exactly as I feared. I'll get him there first thing. Xx

Please don't wait until first thing tomorrow: he needs to see a vet urgently (tonight) - rabbits go downhill very quickly. If you ring your vet, it will give you the number of the out-of-hours vet.

ETA Cross-posted with Hesperus giving same advice.

He may not last the night, and even if he does, he may be so ill that he can't recover. It really is vital he sees a vet as soon as possible, as Fee has said, buns go downhill in a matter of minutes, literally. If you ring your vets they should direct you to an out of hours surgery if they don't have their own, it should be on their answering machine. I really would absolutely advise he sees a vet tonight. Good luck!

ETA: Crossposted with Babsie and Hesperus!

i agree with others, as it has already been a number of hours, you really need to get to a vet as soon as you can, so they can give something to kick start his gut movements, and also get pain relief. good luck x

Just a quick update: I got him to lick a little piece of cucumber! Just a few little licks, but it sure cheered me up! I've popped him in his cage now and he is laying in his litter box! He did have a little hop on my bed too! Please tell me this is a good sign! Xx

Just a quick update: I got him to lick a little piece of cucumber! Just a few little licks, but it sure cheered me up! I've popped him in his cage now and he is laying in his litter box! He did have a little hop on my bed too! Please tell me this is a good sign! Xx

Sorry, but it's not enough, if he hasn't eaten all day and hasn't pooped he needs urgent vet treatment. I'd take him to an emergency vet. I know they're expensive but it may be your only option. Please don't delay. I've been in the situation you've been in, I know what it's like to look for any little bit of hope, but really, the best hope is to go and get all the injections, gut stimulants, painkillers, IV fluids etc that a vet can offer.

Have you rang your vets? He needs meds asap. x

I can only reiterate and stress what we have said - that he needs immediate vet attention.

I was told this by my vet when Floppy was put to sleep.

Bunnies are prey animals and will literally move about as normal when many other species would drop well before. She said to me that bunnies literally survive on adrenaline and can collapse very suddenly when their system shuts down.. They may look ok when they clearly arent...the first thing you know is when they collapse....

We dont mean to be over dramatic but your wee bunny could be very very seriously ill...

an interest in food is a good sign, but he will still need extra help for the hours this has been going on for, and also for the time it will now take for him to get back to normal. :wave:

i would ring the vets now. :wave:

Back