• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Little Pickle and Wool dumpling

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
We are the proud new owner of a gorgeous dog, we've rehomed, who's got a fantastic name…..Dennis.

E785C192-EA46-41CD-B375-BB20E867989B-6025-000005A61ABD1430_zps3b2fcca8.jpg

He is absolutely massive (although some of it is fat.) Yes…that is teenie tiny (puppy looking) Howard next to big wool dumpling Dennis.

9FDC654C-A64D-46E2-A0D8-A46AE8000234-6025-000005A617185BA5_zpscd2f5f79.jpg

He's definitely made himself at home and him and Howard have got on like a house on fire (but thankfully less destructively!)

93D6AE89-24ED-418F-8354-E81FA8AF4946-6025-000005A6148FC9FE_zps68b73012.jpg

CB9A177D-6BF3-4569-8D11-CF391B589ECC-6025-000005A605472E44_zpsb2d50543.jpg

4A55FEB3-736B-4704-8BCA-259E3AE638AA-6025-000005A5F94FC54B_zps836fe242.jpg

487F4ED4-2E32-422C-B7A1-54B3E24632EC-6025-000005A5FC86AA1B_zpsdebf4ed1.jpg

He's so lovely and calm.

Aww i would love a king charles, what are they like? Wont be getting for a few years but im thinking i would like one eventually.

Thank you! They make a handsome pair :love: I wonder if Howard thinks he's looking into a very big mirror….

Aww i would love a king charles, what are they like? Wont be getting for a few years but im thinking i would like one eventually.

They're Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. King Charles spaniels are a different breed with an almost "pug like" nose. Cav's have longer noses and are generally bigger (but Howard, as you can see, is miniature.)

Pet wise they are absolutely fantastic dogs, if well trained. I'll focus on Howard as we don't really know Dennis other than what we've seen today (which for the record is the most horizontal, calm dog I've ever met). Howard can run for miles and miles and will never tire out, but the moment you're at home he stops, calms down and finds the comfiest seat in the house (generally my lap, if I'm sitting down.)

He's wonderful with the kids. We have a 5 year old and a nearly 1 year old and he's so gentle and caring. Hugo (baby) is learning to climb/walk etc and so is falling over a lot. The moment he cries, Howard rushes right up to him and lies down with his head on his lap. (It makes me tear up to watch….)

Health-wise you HAVE to watch what they eat, as they're dustbins, and take them on the same walks you would any other spaniel (even if it looks like they don't want to get off the sofa.) Some people think they're lap dogs, but I find them to be far more spaniel than toy dog, and treat them as such. Dennis is rather overweight but the breed is so susceptible to heart problems that it's incredibly important to keep that weight off. There's also syringomielia and eye problems. All in all they are very expensive to insure, and you need to know what to look out for with the syringomielia.

You won't be able to walk anywhere without people pointing and "awwwwing", and I'm sure it goes to their heads.

They are utterly fantastic little dogs (and I'm not a little dog fan…I like big dogs.:lol::lol:)

If you let them on the bed then they'll take up the entire bed, flat on their back, snoring………! Needless to say, we don't allow dogs on the bed :roll:

They're Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. King Charles spaniels are a different breed with an almost "pug like" nose. Cav's have longer noses and are generally bigger (but Howard, as you can see, is miniature.)

Pet wise they are absolutely fantastic dogs, if well trained. I'll focus on Howard as we don't really know Dennis other than what we've seen today (which for the record is the most horizontal, calm dog I've ever met). Howard can run for miles and miles and will never tire out, but the moment you're at home he stops, calms down and finds the comfiest seat in the house (generally my lap, if I'm sitting down.)

He's wonderful with the kids. We have a 5 year old and a nearly 1 year old and he's so gentle and caring. Hugo (baby) is learning to climb/walk etc and so is falling over a lot. The moment he cries, Howard rushes right up to him and lies down with his head on his lap. (It makes me tear up to watch….)

Health-wise you HAVE to watch what they eat, as they're dustbins, and take them on the same walks you would any other spaniel (even if it looks like they don't want to get off the sofa.) Some people think they're lap dogs, but I find them to be far more spaniel than toy dog, and treat them as such. Dennis is rather overweight but the breed is so susceptible to heart problems that it's incredibly important to keep that weight off. There's also syringomielia and eye problems. All in all they are very expensive to insure, and you need to know what to look out for with the syringomielia.

You won't be able to walk anywhere without people pointing and "awwwwing", and I'm sure it goes to their heads.

They are utterly fantastic little dogs (and I'm not a little dog fan…I like big dogs.:lol::lol:)

Thats what i meant, i didnt know there was a king charles breed :lol: There are lots in our village, i see them every day :love: Yes hubby is more of a big dog fan but we dont have the space for a big dog. We'e planning on moving house in a few years anyway for a bigger garden but i still like these, i like the ruby ones, so pretty :love::love::love::love: is it the tri coloured ones that are more rare?

Aw well they're both lovely ;) :thumb:

Thats what i meant, i didnt know there was a king charles breed :lol: There are lots in our village, i see them every day :love: Yes hubby is more of a big dog fan but we dont have the space for a big dog. We'e planning on moving house in a few years anyway for a bigger garden but i still like these, i like the ruby ones, so pretty :love::love::love::love: is it the tri coloured ones that are more rare?

Aw well they're both lovely ;) :thumb:

We wanted Howard to be Blenheim (ruby and white) or Ruby, but I couldn't resist his eyebrows. :love::love: Dennis was meant to be a Labrador :lol::lol:

What I find is the best thing about them is that you can walk for a mile or you can walk for 10 and they'll act exactly the same at home…flat out on the floor/sofa/by the radiator. I can't always fit in more than one walk (although generally we go on two a day) but it doesn't cause Howard to act out if we miss one. At this moment in time if we had a dog that couldn't cope without a certain number of walks a day and became restless because of this, then I'd be frazzled beyond belief. That doesn't mean that having a romp in the fields isn't Howard's number 1 thing to do.

If you get one then make sure the parents are health tested (or rehome, obviously) and keep them slim and agile. I hate seeing Cavi's plodding along, struggling to keep up with their owner because of their weight.:(

I've given Dennis a fur-cut……..flipping heck he had a lot of fur! I almost drowned in it!

72AE654E-77CE-4F3C-9D8C-41207E7F5064-6428-000005E853CD79E9_zps09d4122c.jpg

Thankfully he's not as fat as I first thought….a lot of it was fur!

AC5867F6-70EC-41B4-A88A-14D20FF3B837-6428-000005E8501341CB_zps4b895262.jpg

He was so good with the clippers and just stood there for me to clip him, then rolled onto his back for his tummy! :love::love: He's currently fast asleep, snuggled up with Howard!:love:

Back