• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

polyp in ear tramadol question

willowflower27

Mama Doe
Evan has been bit off color these last few weeks still eating pooing normally but I just had a "feeling" he wasn't right so I braved the dreaded vet trip and I thought it was going to be ear infection as looks uncomfortable eating and shaking his head as if annoyed.
Its not an infection its a growth so he needs x-rays and possibly CT scan and referral to d!ck vet but was wondering how people have dealt with this?
Evan is on metacam and zantac as he's uncomfortable with it and the growth may shrink but any advice and vibes welcome as I fret about him terribly what with his poorly chest
Teeth look good on oral exam no drooling etc

Last edited:
He's still uncomfortable even on the pain relief so having x-rays and a possible biopsy tomorrow and I'm a very worried bunny mummy even though I will be looking after him at work myself I still can't help but worry and I'm asking one of my colleagues to monitor his anaesthesia for me

He needs a referral to d!ck vet his bulla is full of tissue/mass on the left side and he needs a CT scan I'm so worried thisis llike Finley all over again I don't want to lose another bunny he's down 300 g in weight and is developing sore hocks from inactivity so I have more padding in his bed and chopping his veg

Oh goodness I am sorry to hear this :cry:

What has the Vet suggested the RD may be able to do ? Is he well enough for surgery ?

He needs ct scan first to determine whether the mass is removable, there is a potential of doing a bulla osteotomy operation but with his chest it is very much up to the vet school (surgery may not be an option) I may just have to medically manage his condition but with the rate he's losing weight this might not be the best way forward either. My vet is arranging the referral as quickly as possible to give him best chance he's just been through so much already :cry:

He needs ct scan first to determine whether the mass is removable, there is a potential of doing a bulla osteotomy operation but with his chest it is very much up to the vet school (surgery may not be an option) I may just have to medically manage his condition but with the rate he's losing weight this might not be the best way forward either. My vet is arranging the referral as quickly as possible to give him best chance he's just been through so much already :cry:

Poor boy :cry:

I hope he can remain as comfortable as possible xx

Now full blown stasis i feel awful its so difficult taking him to have any investigations because he gets so stressed, but now after his anaesthetic yesterday not eating or moving. He is on painrelief, fluids and critical care and thankfully have appointment with d!ck vet in the morning here's hoping they can put my poorly baby right although I don't think I would opt for ear surgery, it takes a special kind of rabbit to go through that (by that i mean one who doesn't mind being handeled, having meds orally and injectable) i don't think evan is that kind of rabbit every session of handling ends with him going purple :shock: so giving meds is horrific for him and me

Now full blown stasis i feel awful its so difficult taking him to have any investigations because he gets so stressed, but now after his anaesthetic yesterday not eating or moving. He is on painrelief, fluids and critical care and thankfully have appointment with d!ck vet in the morning here's hoping they can put my poorly baby right although I don't think I would opt for ear surgery, it takes a special kind of rabbit to go through that (by that i mean one who doesn't mind being handeled, having meds orally and injectable) i don't think evan is that kind of rabbit every session of handling ends with him going purple :shock: so giving meds is horrific for him and me

I can only base my thoughts on what information you have posted about Evan. Obviously I am in no position to know really, but from what you have said I would not think surgery was appropriate. As he is already so poorly and stressed might it be better to postpone transporting him to the RD tomorrow ? In reality what is it likely to achieve for Evan ? Will it just give the Vets a more definitive diagnosis for which the only options are palliative care or extremely high risk and invasive surgery which you perhaps dont think to be in Evan's best interests ?

Given that he gets cyanosed just from handling I wonder if all the stress would just be too much for him ? Only you and your Vet can decide, I am just giving an 'outsider's' thoughts which I hope you wont be offended by

I really hope that your special Bunny can get to feeling better than he does today xx

Thank you Jane I am not offended, the vet school have already given me and work a phone consultation they have a suspicion that what is in his ear is causing his pneumonia so would like to look at it as the anaesthetic will be lengthy I would prefer they do the tests (biopsy,CT scan) there. He will never be well enough to travel really he just needs to see the car to get stressed.
I really dont know what to do for him I would like a working diagnosis as he's only 2 so it may not be something sinister and possibly not need removed he has perked up a little again this afternoon
This will sound awful but he gets on much better away from me I think my stress and worry makes him much worse
I am discussing it with the family tonight and we will decide what to do, I am not sure what to do for best I wish he could tell me right now he's just done a massive binky but landed badly due to the balance issue he still seems happy enough

Good news, I decided to go with the referral after much soul searching and debating and he had ct scan today looks like soft tissue mass in ear canal not bulla and if surgery would be required it will be minimal but I might be able to shrink the mass with antiinflammatories he has done really well eating and drinking at vet school and taking his meds well so I am hopeful.

I am glad that things are looking a bit more optimistic for him. I hope he continues to feel better within himself xx

I have him home on tramadol,metacam and zantac he seems great except for a few hours after the tramadol he seems really sleepy is this Normal? other good news is his chest although damaged isn't as bad as we thought which is fabulous news:D

I have no knowledge of the use of tramadol in rabbits but it can zonk people out so I would assume it can do the same to a rabbit.

Tramadol works well in rabbits, I use it quite often. I haven't noticed it make them sleepy. It certainly doesn't make me sleepy either.

Good luck with him.

Its working great its just the first 2-3 hours he seems subdued after but I'm not sure if its the tramadol or its worn off and needs to kick back in. Like he's sore til it starts to work so not moving around so much :?

In people, sleepiness is rated as a "common" side effect of tramadol. "Common" means it affects between 1 and 10% of patients.

Back