• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and snow?

BorisnHannibal

Young Bun
So with all this fabulous sunshine we are currently having in Sheffield ( snow snow and more snow) and seeing as I'm not in work today I thought I would see how the bunnies felt about snow.

I have in the past read that some find it to be fun and enjoy burrowing in it and skipping around. So I opened the back door, plonked Hannibal ( disability bunny who walks and hops fine but can't jump any real height or manage steps etc) down just outside the door where there was no snow, and then Boris ran out like a steam train.

Boris did one very fast lap of the garden, sped past me at about 100mph and hid in the back of his hutch sulking. Hannibal meanwhile had a little sniff of the snow and then gazed a me with a 'what the hell!?!?!' Expression. So I promptly brought him back in as well. Am I wrong? Do bunnies hate snow? Don't get me wrong, it's not exactly freezing out there at the moment despite the snow. They have been out in colder, and Boris doesn't object to drizzle at all, in fact last time he was out and it started raining he really didn't want to come back in and I had to resort to herding.

Any of your guys experienced snow?

Not today, but when we had snow last month I put some in a tray and put it in with the outdoor buns in their aviary, they loved it!

Ypu've reminded me that I ought to check my grandparents and great aunt and uncle are OK, seeing as you've said Sheff has snow, as they all live there! snow and elderly people do not mix really :?

Not today, but when we had snow last month I put some in a tray and put it in with the outdoor buns in their aviary, they loved it!

Ypu've reminded me that I ought to check my grandparents and great aunt and uncle are OK, seeing as you've said Sheff has snow, as they all live there! snow and elderly people do not mix really :?

I would definitely give em a call. We had a coating this morning and then it's been pretty much none stop. Apparently main roads are ok, but my OH doesn't finish work till 9 and I'm worried about him getting home.

I would definitely give em a call. We had a coating this morning and then it's been pretty much none stop. Apparently main roads are ok, but my OH doesn't finish work till 9 and I'm worried about him getting home.

Will do that later then, typically my great aunt has severe health problems (arthritis, recent surgery, cancer etc) so can't walk more than 5 mins on the best of days and she lives on an incredibly steep road, no doubt they are stranded :roll: I love snow but not when it causes so many problems!

Hope your OH gets home safely :wave:

That's the problem with Sheffield, it's pretty much all on a steep hill! We live on a side road halfway up a really steep one and trying not to miss the turning in the snow is always fun. I've slid past it before lol.

Hope your relatives are all OK.

My OH is Scottish so he isn't worried about driving in the snow, but he's had to abandon the car a few times because other people have dumped theirs and blocked off roads.

That's the problem with Sheffield, it's pretty much all on a steep hill! We live on a side road halfway up a really steep one and trying not to miss the turning in the snow is always fun. I've slid past it before lol.

Hope your relatives are all OK.

My OH is Scottish so he isn't worried about driving in the snow, but he's had to abandon the car a few times because other people have dumped theirs and blocked off roads.

As beautiful as it is, I can imagine it isn't the easiest place to navigate around! your road sounds pretty similar to my great aunt, she's on a really steep road with a sharp bend right outside her house!

I myself live on a hill with a sharp bend but nothing as bad as Auntie Bren's! I can imagine how your OH wouldn't be fazed! Good luck with the roads!:wave:

Eyup.

I live in Norway though so it can't really compare to most snowfalls you get in Britain.
There was one year my rabbits literally snowed in every day in January....
I__m_in_here_mommy_by_Usagi_Zakura.jpg

It also broke one of my rabbit hutches when a large mass of snow and ice slid of the roof and crashed down on poor Cloud's roof. The bunny was fine though, the hutch had simply slid down and not collapsed entirely so he was able to escape. Found him rather shaken up in a small ditch right next to the broken hutch.

Back