• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dumped in cardboard box outside Kirkby rescue. Injury pics P33. A HAPPY ENDING!!

Tracy

Warren Veteran
Two rabbits, one of which has part of her back leg missing. :(

They were dumped at some point during the night and Celia found them when she opened her gate in the morning.

Both rabbits are temporarily with me. My vet had a look at the bunny's injured leg this morning. It's not a fresh wound and she thinks the injury could have happened up to a month ago. There's a lot of hardened tissue that has built up around the actual wound and part-way up the remaining bit of the leg, so it feels quite big and lumpy. It's difficult to describe, so I will get a pic when my OH is home later as it will take two of us to photograph it (I'll put a warning in the title in case people don't want to look). The bit of leg above the wound is also quite puffy. It looks nasty and it's still bleeding (although not all the time) as the rabbit is using the wounded stump to walk/hop on. I've got them in a smallish indoor cage to prevent her using the stump too much.

My vet has recommended amputation, which is going to be done on Monday. She wants her to have a couple of days on Metacam (to help reduce the inflammation) and also Baytril before she goes through the op.

Goodness only knows what has happened to the poor rabbit and how much pain she must have been in when it happened. The injury doesn't seem to be really bothering her at the moment, although it can't possibly feel comfortable, and she is bright and active. Both rabbits are very nervous and skittish, which is hardly surprising.

I've left them quietly for now, but I will take some pics later. They are both very nervous and unsettled at the moment. The uninjured rabbit whimpers when you go to pick her up, she is a frightened little girl. :(

Leg amputations are a new one for me, so I may well be asking a few questions later. They'll be staying with us until the amputation has healed and she is fully better.

Last edited:
OMG how awful :( those poor babies. Thank god they are now in safe hands with you. I really hope they will both be ok xxx

Oh for goodness sake, why oh why would someone let this happen and then leave it without being seen to. Poor wee bubba x

Oh what a horrible ight that must have been this morning. I hope bunny is strong enough to cope with such an op. Bless. Who could leave a bunny like that? Poor poor bunny:cry:
Painkilling and recovery vibes for the little darling

:evil::cry: poor bunnies....how could anyone just leave them unattended and not take them to a vet! Beyond belief!
Im glad they did at least take them to a rescue....they must be so scared..whimpering...breaks my heart:cry:

Oh that's horrible :( The only saving grace is at least they dumped them outside a rescue and not in the middle of nowhere!

Poor bunnies :( Sending vibes for them both, especially for the operation!

helen form the rabbit crossing (the dutchess on here) has a bunny with an amputated leg. He copes really well :wave:

i just dont know how people can be so horrible,,,

Good luck to both buns, special noserubs to the wee one with the sore leg....

Fee xxx

This is the box they arrived in:
Bunny_Box_zpsec885fb6.jpg

They had already been rushed to the vets when Rob arrived, but he did photograph the box. They were left outside all night in the snow. :cry: It's a miracle they were not eaten by foxes.

This is the box they arrived in:
Bunny_Box_zpsec885fb6.jpg

They had already been rushed to the vets when Rob arrived, but he did photograph the box. They were left outside all night in the snow. :cry: It's a miracle they were not eaten by foxes.

Just awful. :cry: So glad they survived in these circumstances.

sounds awful :( and why do people just dump them, and outside in snow aswell. are people really that dumb, or heartless :evil:

Back