• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this a good idea?

chloeturner

Warren Veteran
So, in a couple of weeks I think I should feel ready to adopt a bun. I have mentioned that if I could get the transport, I would certainly adopt from the rspca.

However, if I found that I couldn't get transport, would it be a good idea to go to pets at home (hear me out) to see if they've got any buns who have been taken there unwanted? I know someone who took a bun there because her kids got fed up and this is what a rescue does so in theory id still be "rescuing" a bun.

I cant remember who it was, but someone on here posted a pic of quite a large bun in small "temp" accomodation in pets at home, but was likely to be there a long time because he was aggressive. I'd happily take on a bun like this.

Opinions?

It would be easier to adopt a ready bonded pair. If you go through a rescue they'll be neutered, vaccinated and health checked. A bun from P@H won't be. If transport is an issue you could find a bun/pair you like on Rabbit Rehome and a bunrun can be arranged. :wave:

Ur not forgetting about misty Hun , and u won't be replacing misty , you will be helping another bunny/s who need a loving home :)x

Oh chick, that is a normal reaction, but you will never forget Misty.

Try and think of it differently. You are actually honouring Misty. She has shown you what wonderful creatures bunnies are, how much they can mean to us and make a difference to our lives. By taking on a rescue bunny(s) you are giving another bunny a chance of a happy life. That is a wonderful tribute to Misty and her legacy. She would be proud of you.

A new bunny will never take Misty's place in your heart. Our hearts hold a lot of room for new bunnies. You will soon find a new bunny will make it's way into yours.

Those baby's are gorgeous but if you got a older pair that are already bonded they will Also be spayed neutered and vaccinated :)

Yes it is normal to feel guilty about even thinking about getting another bun BUT it is a tribute for Misty, she taught you so much about rabbit care, you can't let that go to waste!

Speaking as someone who has loved rabbits, lost them and got more afterwards, you never stop loving them, having another rabbit does not move your affection from one animal to the next, they are a new friend, not a replacement, a new friend that can offer comfort xxxx

I was going to suggest these two but looks like they are already reserved

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...air-of-young-bunnies-take-a-look-at-these-two

I think they have the cutest bunnies here. Pod was from here and I'm currently in love with Humphrey, take a look at him :) I guess they do bonding and hopefully it's not too far. What bred of rabbits did you want?

I would feel exactly the same as you if anything happens to Doughnut. I think getting a pair will be easier for you as it will be a whole new experience and you're less likely to compare.

No bun will replace Misty but I'm sure you will love them just as much but because of different reasons.

One's that arent prone to too many health problems is a good start :thumb: I admire the people who take on dental buns and buns with various other long term health issues, and I have money saved in case of emergency vet bills, but I dont have an unlimited amount. I was very lucky that Misty never had any problems with her teeth or tummy and recovered from her spay more quickly than most.

Natsusakura mentioned that rabbits with "uppy" ears tend to have less teeth problems and that rexes are prone to sore hocks, and I already knew dwarf rabbits are prone to teeth problems because of the way they've been bred... Does anyone have any idea what breed misty could've been? She weighed around 3 kilos, was very fluffy with a mainly good temperament :wave:

I got my Herbie & Inca a three months after my Kermit went to the bridge, would've been two months if Inca never kept pulling out her spay stitches!

I felt guilty at times, same as you, cos I was feeling like I was replacing Kermit. But the house felt so empty without him and I really wanted to help some bunnies. It was strange when I first got them cos I was looking at them thinking 'will I actually love them'....after a wee while I did :)

I got Inca from Bunnyhops & Herbie from BARC. Herbie got taken to Bunnyhops, then they got bonded, then I drove part of the way to get them and Kay met me with them. Bunny runs can be arranged :) It felt weird cos I had not met them before I got them, but their stories just made me know that I wanted them.

Nothing wrong with adopting from Pets at Home if that's something you are happy with :) I have one from there and he's the nicest temperament wise out of all my bunnies.

Without gettin slated, I would just like to go and take a look in pets at home for preloved bunnies, just to weigh up my options. Is it cheeky to ask to health check them yourself? And would they have a problem with that?

There will always be space in your heart for more buns. I don't know what I'll do if I lose Pebs tomorrow...he is my baby, even though I love my other 3. I think that is the reason I have lots of buns..I never feel as though I am replacing a bun..just helping and loving another bun.

I would look at a few places if you can, you'll know when you find the right bunny or bunnies.

Don't know anything about P@H policies. Maybe call up and ask before you go.

Back