• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ill rabbit - holiday dilemma. U/D They are going into boarding now!

how old are you? are you able to stay home on your own?

if so I suggest not going on holiday I know its not nice for you but I feel its the best for the bun because it causes her less stress ie being taken on a journey when ill and being away from her friends......

I had to cancel holidays for yuki :cry:

how old are you? are you able to stay home on your own?

if so I suggest not going on holiday I know its not nice for you but I feel its the best for the bun because it causes her less stress ie being taken on a journey when ill and being away from her friends......

I had to cancel holidays for yuki :cry:

I'm 17 and my parents say I can't unfortunately. :(

I'm 17 and my parents say I can't unfortunately. :(

17 is old enough to stay at home alone you are living under your parents house and its their rules yes but you should really try and get them to let you stay... your an adult not a child your coming up to 18 and can leave home...

i really dont think its best for the bun to be moved while ill... seperated from her family while ill

if your neighbour is willing to medicate thats good but I would not leave a sick pet alone rabbits go down hill fast....... she may not spot the signs...

i really think its best you stay at home with her

i would refuse to go on holiday but then my parents would understand and would have let me stay......

you really need to sit them down and say how serious it is

I personally wouldn't want to take a sick bunny on an unnecessary car journey, to then stay in a place far away from their usual vet where you may not be able to get help easily if the situation suddenly gets worse.

Perhaps if treatment is needed then she could stay with the vet while you are away?

I personally wouldn't want to take a sick bunny on an unnecessary car journey, to then stay in a place far away from their usual vet where you may not be able to get help easily if the situation suddenly gets worse.

Perhaps if treatment is needed then she could stay with the vet while you are away?
i would have suggested this but she has said she cant afford boarding so I doubt she could afford vet boarding

Even at 17 I couldn't have gone against my folks if they had said no. At 36 I still struggle! It's there anyone from here who is local and might take the buns on a foster basis, in return for expenses, while you were away? You need to know that she is ok and at least with an experienced carer there would be no hassle with giving meds.

It is hard but hopefully there will be a solution that means you can keep everyone/bun happy.

I would suggest that the parents should be paying as the OP is under 18, especially if not allowed to stay at home to care for them.

i think the op has mentioned before that their parents said all pet care is on them if they wanted rabbits i might be getting them confused with someone else though

but I agree with you

either someone stays home or the bun should be at the vets...

It would be good if someone from ru could look after them.
:thumb:

Agree.

Has the bun had a course of lapizole/panacur? Weight loss is often EC related... :?

Have dental probs been ruled out too? The ideal solution is presumably to find out what's causing the weightloss etc...

When reading first thing I did was look where you live as I would check them for you, unfortunately I live too far away. I'm sure with a plea here you could get someone to look after all 3? With her being so poorly I wouldn't take her away from her pals and then on a long car ride. I would thibk you won't be able to he with her all the time as on holidays there are trips out etc.

i think the op has mentioned before that their parents said all pet care is on them if they wanted rabbits i might be getting them confused with someone else though

but I agree with you

either someone stays home or the bun should be at the vets...

I paid for everything when I had a job but now parents do. :( They wouldnt not pay for treatment and let her suffer. They were actually the ones who noticed the weight loss. :(

Tinker will be going to the vets today to find out whats wrong but what I mean is, even though my parents will be paying, i cant rely on them to keep forking out hundreds for them to go into boarding. Everywhere is booked up now anyway. Plus some of my other pets have been at the vets this past month. It came to 60 pounds just for Theo and my guinea pig to have a check up. If Tink needs bloods and xrays then that is going to be hundreds. She will get treatment but that has to come before boarding.

When I say shes not well. She is still acting fine in herself, running around and eating but has just lost weight suddenly which is strange. Could be due to the hay and veg only died but shes been fine on that for a month. I have now started re-introducing pellets intoher diet. She is used to travelling so I dont think that would effect her much at all.

Thanks for the replies. I would be more than happy for someone from RU to help. I'm near Halifax/Leeds West Yorkshire. Thank you xx

Last edited:
Aww you can't go against your parents wishes, I know they are incredibly supportive of you and the buns.

See what the vets say today. Would there maybe be a veterinary nurse that would look after her for a few weeks. my sister was a vet nurse and looked after all kinds of animals at home, I Also think the best idea will be getting an experienced RUer to look after them and give meds etc. I hope you can find someone!

I also know you must be very worried considering what has happened to us both while being on holiday :cry:

Hope you can get it sorted xx

Dont forget what I said in my PM, you may be getting very anxious about a problem that is not really a problem.

I am an expert at doing that !!

Try to focus on what you know are facts, as mentioned in the PM. Then we can try to help you sort things out *if* holiday care were to be needed.

I think Bunnies should come with a human health warning- the worry they can cause can lead to our premature aging !!

I swear my two dogs never made me so frazzled as my Rabbits do. But they are worth it :love:

Good luck at the Vets and try not to worry too much.

Dont forget what I said in my PM, you may be getting very anxious about a problem that is not really a problem.

I am an expert at doing that !!

Try to focus on what you know are facts, as mentioned in the PM. Then we can try to help you sort things out *if* holiday care were to be needed.

I think Bunnies should come with a human health warning- the worry they can cause can lead to our premature aging !!

I swear my two dogs never made me so frazzled as my Rabbits do. But they are worth it :love:

Good luck at the Vets and try not to worry too much.

Thank you, they really should! :lol: They worry me so much.

Yep Im hoping its not the worse case scenerario but preparing myself just in case it ends up that way. :( I lost 2 buns when I was on holiday and they were with a very highly recommended bunny boarder who cared for them brilliantly, so its hard to leave then when I go away now.

Back