• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whoever said bunnies aren't smart...

Schez

Mama Doe
Haven't met Rex bunnies Staleigh Rose and Daisy Belle... The escape artists....

I awoke yesterday morning to a text from my next door neighbour that went a little something like this:

"Hi there, I believe I have a rabbit in my garden..."

Investigations revealed that Daisy Belle was happily munching away at her grass (thank god me and said neighbour are on fab terms...) Stanleigh Rose is pretty easy to catch, and comes up for snuggles, Daisy Belle on the other hand is more tricky... 2 hours later, both buns are back in their home, happily munching their hay and probably having a right giggle at us hoomins...

I worked out how they got under the fence, and have plans on re-bunny proofing but I couldn't figure out how they got out of their hutch/run in the first place... Further observation/stake out revealed that the buns had worked out that they could nudge up the slidy side door of their run (designed to attach a hide) and wriggle their way out! I was absolutely flabbergasted!

Are bunnies smart? Hell yeah they are! :lol::lol::lol:

My poppy discovered she could do that after being in it only a day. I wire them shut with the sandwich bag ties haha

:lol: now they have done it once you will have to nail it down to keep them in. :lol:

OH didn't bolt the hutch bedroom door properly and Stu decided to headbutt it until it opened, stupid bunny ended up with a sore nose,:roll: the cover was partially zipped and he could only open the door about 1" so fortunately didn't get out :roll: but he must have tried for a while.:lol:

He also dug his way out under the hutch as it is on the grass (its a hutch with a run under), i put a stop to that it's now got plastic garden mesh on the floor:lol::love:

My Daisy had a rubbish hutch what had like the catches you just turn to open th door, so she used to stic her nose through the bars, push the catch up and get out!

I've got 2 of those kinds of runs, the older one had clips to lock the sliding door closed, but the newer one hasn't so Im going to tie wrap it shut!

My poppy discovered she could do that after being in it only a day. I wire them shut with the sandwich bag ties haha

I tried that first...they nibbled them all off and would have escaped if it hadn't been for my timing.... :lol: naughty, naughty, naughty bunny-beans! :lol:;)

:lol: now they have done it once you will have to nail it down to keep them in. :lol:

OH didn't bolt the hutch bedroom door properly and Stu decided to headbutt it until it opened, stupid bunny ended up with a sore nose,:roll: the cover was partially zipped and he could only open the door about 1" so fortunately didn't get out :roll: but he must have tried for a while.:lol:

He also dug his way out under the hutch as it is on the grass (its a hutch with a run under), i put a stop to that it's now got plastic garden mesh on the floor:lol::love:

:shock: poor bunny nose... Bunnies are funny little things, forever keeping us on our toes... :roll::lol::love:

Ps. I've used stronger zip ties and propped up some bricks against the doors... So far so good, but the bunny glares I received.. Well I never... ;)

I tried that first...they nibbled them all off and would have escaped if it hadn't been for my timing.... :lol: naughty, naughty, naughty bunny-beans! :lol:;)

I had about three at the top and bottom but the way i put them on she couldnt nibbles them :lol:

Back