• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hayfever/asthma which hay meadow or timothy?

cpayne

Warren Veteran
Does anyone know which affects their hayfever less?

I've discovered that bags of timothy hay from wilkinson (which seems to be Doughnuts favourite) doesn't set my hayfever off. In fact the pets at home hay doesnt either but timothy hay from dustfreehay and hay4pets makes my hayfever and asthma terrible. I only get asthma with hayfever, otherwise I'm OK.

Just wondered if anyone had found that meadow or timothy doesn't affect them so much. There again this thread may be totally pointless as I think Doughnut prefers timothy so may well put her paw down!

H4P timothy and rye is the worst for me. Sneezing, itching, everything. The Alfalfa Kings Timothy Hay from P@H is also bad for me. I think it's Timothy grass which is the thing I'm allergic too.

I haven't tried their meadow hay, but I'm fine with the Ings.

The Timothy & Rye from Hay for Pets I've got makes me feel awful, but I've always been fine with the Meadow hay from them.

Poppy gets alfalfa (sp?) Timothy hay and clover p@h Timothy hay p@h doesn't give me any bother at all (that's why the indoor bun gets it, and also poppy is a fuss pot and only eats the fancy stuff) haha the alfalfa gives me a bit of bother but meadow hay has sent me into fits of sneezes before

The Timothy & Rye from Hay for Pets I've got makes me feel awful, but I've always been fine with the Meadow hay from them.

That's interest. I know Doughnut loves that hay, got it twice but I really suffered. I may try a small bag of the meadow hay. It's a shame as I think she loves stalky. Maybe I could mix it with the wilkinsons as I want her to have longer strands, although is longer strand meadow hay better than short strands of stalky! It all gets confusing.

Poppy gets alfalfa (sp?) Timothy hay and clover p@h Timothy an fe p@h doesn't give me any bother at all (that's why the indoor bun gets it, and also poppy is a fuss pot and only eats the fancy stuff) haha

Doughnut used to love the timothy p@h but she has gone of it and goes for Wilkinsons instead. I've also got the herbabe one which is double the price but no she heads to the Wilkinsons bag!

My boyfriend suffered terribly when we had the Hay for pets Timothy and Rye, but has been absolutely fine since we got the Ings x

I may get another sample then. I'm sure she turned her nose up at the ings and meadow. She ate it eventually but it's the timothy she loved unfortunately. Will try again!

Yep Hopscotch loves the Timothy & Rye from Hay for Pets - but I'm not sure I can cope with it again :lol:

Timothy and rye was terrible for me :( I actually would look forward to leaving the house just to get away from the sneezing and wheezing. Antihistimines don't touch the sides either! I now give Pete a mix of meadow hay ( from pet shop) and alfalfa timothy and touch wood I've been absolutely fine!! No need for inhalers or anything!

I was really worried as I wasn't sure if it was actually peter I was allergic too and that I'd have to rehome him :( I just couldnt risk my asthma :(

I've just ordered the sample pack, bet she makes a beeline for the timothy. I feel mean not ordering it but we will have to reach a compromise.

dust free hay soft makes me soooo bad. we have that at the minute and my chest is killing me. i'm fine with hay4pets timothy+rye, and the soft meadow hay, but the ings made me chesty aswell.

the willow warren hay i was fine with, that might be an option? :wave:

I'm a nightmare with most. I'm actually okay with the T&R from hayforpets at the mo but I end up really ill for a week every other month or so. I've also been fine with the meadow stalky from dust free hay but again I could turn at any time. I'm dreading summer as I was a nightmares last year.

That doesn't help does it?

I really find singulair helps my nose, you could ask the docs for that. It's made a difference to me.

I may go to the drs in the summer and try that if my hayfever gets bad. I'm OK at the moment but like I said she is on the packet stuff and would prefer to get her some long strands too.

I really reacted badly with the timothy & rye hay from Hay for Pets....seriously sneezing...very very wheezy chest...and got loads itchy red bumps on my arms...must be something in there - it seems to effect us all! :?

Ive been ok with the meadow hay from Hay for Pets though:thumb:

Thing is the buns absolutely adore the timothy & rye - so might order some more...but haven't for ages just so I could breathe..might wear a mask:p:lol:

I was also fine with the INGS hay..the buns loved it - veyr green...but very fine..they preferred the timothy & rye cause its so stalky..:p

Yes that's the same as Doughnut she loves stalky. May order a small bag of ings if she likes it when the samples come and see how I get on with it.

Back