• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two rabbits at my college not neutered for education. Opinions?

CrazyGal330

Warren Scout
I have known for a while that there are two un-neutered male rabbits at my college but didn't know why. They are both lone rabbits because they are un-neutered and haven't been able to be bonded. Turns out the reason they are not neutered is for education purposes so the animal care students can see what they look like. I understand why this is perhaps neccesary but at the same time feel that it's not good for their welfare really. The member of staff I asked seemed quite annoyed that I showed dissaproval at this. Just kind of wondering what other people's opinions were on this. :wave:

I don't understand how they can't be neutered.
I mean you can look at pictures of unneutered bunnies and see the difference surely?

On the plus side, they are not being used for breeding.

Is there any possibility that they could be paired with neutered (preferably rescued / older) females? Boy buns would have company and the students would have an example of each for comparison. It would obviously make no external difference to the girl bunny so they would still meet the criteria for educational purposes. I have no experiences of entire male / neutered female bonding, so don't know if it is likely to work.

I came across this when I was studying too, and poor care of animals and lack of welfare was one of the main reasons that I left.
I think it is wrong, do they leave females unspayed so that students can tell the difference? No they leave those unspayed to save money and also to breed for "education" purposes.

I personally have the opinion that it would be better to castrate them for education purposes, so that kids/students today can learn how to care for an animal properly.

I think that's a poor excuse when the internet is full of pictures and videos. They're not educational tools, they're living creatures and their welfare should come first. They must be so frustrated. That's a poor example to set for the students. :(

I don't understand how they can't be neutered.
I mean you can look at pictures of unneutered bunnies and see the difference surely?

They will want the students to physically examine the rabbits, you can look at photos of every animal to sex it, check its teeth, claws, and observe natural behaviour but they want students to have that hands on experience. I don't agree with it but see why they do it

I think that's a poor excuse when the internet is full of pictures and videos. They're not educational tools, they're living creatures and their welfare should come first. They must be so frustrated. That's a poor example to set for the students. :(

I agree 100% with the above.

Just think of what could be taught about neutering and all the plus things it can bring about.

Reducing and or completely stopping the following: uterine/ testicular cancer/ spraying / territorial issues/ raging hormones..........

And of course the opportunity of bonding bunnies.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I think the college needs educating in this case.

There are plastic models of human anatomy available for students, is there no such thing for animals? Couldn't they go to a local rescue to see intact boys? Or even a pet shop?

The students only need to see real testicles on a bun once, if they want to go into veterinary work there'll be more chances to get familiar with testicles doing work experience!

I hope the buns get to be retired from being demonstration objects at some point, so they can be neutered and bonded, it would be awful if they had to stay like that for life :(

Never heard of a model like that sadly :( and trips out would be too expensive/time consuming. They have hundreds of students every year so even though you only need to see them once they still need to be seen hundreds of times. Its pants really pants, at the college I went too none of the bunnies were neutered and they were bred regularly (not a clue why!) which I hated, as were the piggies.

Back