• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is it possible for rabbits to not like someone?

Suzyjo

Warren Scout
Basically as title.. I'm feeling a but disheartened at the minute because I just don't think pod likes me :(

I'm obviously not going to give up on him and have taken to stroking him with a soft brush to try and get him used to being touched.. I have no idea if this is the right thing to do but my thinking is the only way he's going to get used to it is if I carry on even when he attacks it.. which I don't with my hand :?

My pair don`t like me. They don`t like snuggles, being picked up, being groomed or being anywhere near me :lol: they even bite/scratch and growl, but I still love them anyway and just get entertainment from watching them do their thing.

My Honey hated my teenage daughter and would run at her and bite her especially if I were around. She was an absolute angel with me though. So yes I believe rabbits can dislike someone.

Spenser is not fond of men. It is really quite embarrassing because he lives in my Dad's house. He also dislikes loud voices, especially if the conversation is not about or addrerssed to him!

Seriously, some buns are just not really 'people' rabbits, but you'll find a way of interracting sooner or later. Spenser likes to be stroked, but only when all four paws are on the ground and when he is in the mood.

Oh don't get me wrong I do love him, and didn't expect him to be a cuddly bun because I know it's not normally in a buns vocab to be cuddly.. would just be nice to be able to put my hand in for whatever reason without being attacked :lol:

But hey ho, I'll keep persevering! He'll still get spoilt rotten like my other buns :love:

:lol: yeah I didn't think of that affecting him temperament.. that may be a good shout! Fingers crossed :)

Boris hated a lot of people :lol: Especially my sister I think, he'd always growl at her and charge if she got too close. Bella loves everyone, but I like to think that she loves me most :)

I don't think it's because they hate people, just that they haven't been given the time to come to know and love that particular person. It took me 4 years to get Chloe to let me stroke her and hand feed her Pellets, but that is because I literally spend hours around her just getting her used to my presence. As soon as anyone else came in the room, she would run and hide...but if someone else was to dedicate the same amount of time and patience to her, she would like them just as much, I'm sure.

It's the same for my young piggies..they don't hide anymore when they see me, but will if there is a stranger in the house. It is more about being nervous and being prey animals..they will revert to flight or fight instinct when presented with a possible predator until they know the person means them no harm.

I don't think Olly likes Michael very much, he's tried to bite him a few times :shock: At least, so I've been told, it's never happened when I'm there :roll: With me, he loves nose rubs, cuddles and head scratches - He falls asleep! :love:

Hopefully he will come round with your love. I guess he has to start trusting and that may take a while. I'm sure he'll come round in the end and realise what a lucky bunny he is.

My Harley really doesn't like me - I am just there to feed her. Mindyou - I do have to brush her which she hates with a passion so not surprised she treats me with such disdain. But - I love her to bits - and she is very happy with Bobo and that is all that matters - that she is happy.:thumb:

Pod pod pod ... stop being a silly bunny ... :roll:

he did take time to settle here .. hated being picked up at first ... but soon got used to it .. i take the no nonsense approach and they have to get used to it .
i dio a lot of getting on the floor with them too though so they casn climb on me without feeling threatened ... and bribes work well ..

Pod ... stop being a sod :shock:... come on boyo ... be good

Peta attacked anyone who came to her at the rescue, so I took her home. In her hutch I put on a glove and let her attack it, then when she stopped I stroked her on the nose and I kept doing this until she stopped and started licking the glove. :love: I also picked her up every day and held her until she stopped struggling then put her down on the grass as a reward. This also worked for Peter who hated being touched or picked up out of fear and would struggle like crazy. He now sits calmly whenever I pick him up or put him down.

Peta attacked anyone who came to her at the rescue, so I took her home. In her hutch I put on a glove and let her attack it, then when she stopped I stroked her on the nose and I kept doing this until she stopped and started licking the glove. :love: I also picked her up every day and held her until she stopped struggling then put her down on the grass as a reward. This also worked for Peter who hated being touched or picked up out of fear and would struggle like crazy. He now sits calmly whenever I pick him up or put him down.

Oh the glove is a better idea than the brush, at least then he'll get used to a hand not an object. Will do that from now on thanks!

Pod pod pod ... stop being a silly bunny ... :roll:

he did take time to settle here .. hated being picked up at first ... but soon got used to it .. i take the no nonsense approach and they have to get used to it .
i dio a lot of getting on the floor with them too though so they casn climb on me without feeling threatened ... and bribes work well ..

Pod ... stop being a sod :shock:... come on boyo ... be good

:lol: Yeah I know it's probably his hormones still combined with a new environment. Don't worry I won't be giving up on him!

With him being in my room now hopefully that'll help, although I was worried about him jumping out so was attaching a lid to the pen last night and he kept on attacking my leg :lol: He's still super cute even when he's attacking me! I love his little grunts :love::love:

:lol: Yeah I know it's probably his hormones still combined with a new environment. Don't worry I won't be giving up on him!

With him being in my room now hopefully that'll help, although I was worried about him jumping out so was attaching a lid to the pen last night and he kept on attacking my leg :lol: He's still super cute even when he's attacking me! I love his little grunts :love::love:

Haha, I can imagine whatever he does is still cute.

Oh the glove is a better idea than the brush, at least then he'll get used to a hand not an object. Will do that from now on thanks!
I think it will, since Peta always attacked brush whenever I tried to groom her :lol: unless she was sat on a table.

Back