• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just drawn blood.... Again.

Fluffs mum

Warren Scout
I do love fluff but am wondering if he was returned to where I got him from as he is a biter. It flipping hurts! He has been slowly destroying the edging around the laminate in the kitchen... Can live with that am going to be in big trouble as he has taken a slice of one of the bottom of the kitchen cabinets... Good job I don't like them

He seems to know when I am knackered and not paying attention . He hates being handled so have been letting him come to me light nibbles before which is fine ut bending down to talk to him he put his paws on me and sunk inks teeth in after a sniff! :censored::censored: came out of my mouth .

Someone suggested a water spray which make me feel :? Still love him he's looking at me from the otherwise of the kitchen wiggling his nose. Little :censored:

I wouldn't spray him with water, I imagine it would make him more frustrated as he'd be wet then. There is a bigger reason why not to do it but I can't remember :oops:

Is he neutered? Have plenty to do? Do you think it could be boredom?

He has been neutered only 2 weeks ago though. It could be bored just have not found anything that entertains him yet the willow balls he loves chewing to death he seems to be driven by eating as that is all he wants to do he loves apple tree stick s not interested in cat ball and looks at me like I am mental when trying to get him to play . I am hoping it will be better when we eventually get better weather and he can be outside . Am going to see is I can make mo tunnels as he is vaguely interested in the pop up tunnel we have. He is only 7months so plenty of time to grow out of it ...... Please ....

Does he eat enough hay? A pile the size of himself daily? I agree could be boredom. If it is because you weren't paying attention to him, like you suggested, this again could be boredom and loneliness which could manifest as frustration as well. How much space (in ft if possible) does he have? Could also be picking up on your emotions - my bun bites me if I'm really upset.

Where did he bite you? If it was your hands or clothes, had you been eating something? The same bun as above used to bite if he smelt any food on me, I think due to poor eyesight and greediness. Or could it just have been a hard nip? That can often mean 'get out of my way' and isn't aggressive at all.

A lot depends on his body posture when he bit you, can you describe it? What were his ears doing, and his tail? And what were you actually doing at the time? Really, you need to know whether it was an aggressive bite, a territorial bite or a communicating bite. There is a reason he bit you, you've likely done something wrong according to him, so to stop the biting you need to find out what triggers it.

Faith was like this when she was in the house. She used to tolerate some clapping then would give a nasty nip, or would sniff us then nip.

Unfortunately it got worse after she was spayed and she used to run up to us and attack our legs. My son used to get the worst of it.

She got so bad, I just couldn't keep her inside any more as she was a risk to everyone, so put her outside.

The change was huge! She is so much happier outside. Now she can have access to a run from her hutch, so can come and go as she pleases. She still tries to attack others, but has come to realise that I won't cause her harm.

She has bad eyesight, and her mother attacked her siblings and killed them. I always wonder if this has anything to do with how she is.

Are you able to try him in different environments?

Thanks for the replys fab info as always .

He eats a lot of hay and had enought to dig and roll in it he just wants to eat all f the time . When he bites its a fun up to you a nudge first then he grabs and pulls .

Last night I was sitting down with him waiting for him to come to me and he does several times sniffs accepts a stroke and hops off. Then went to get up as bottom has gone numb so was crouching he put front paws up sniffed gentle nibble then proper nip . He does make me nervous now and is proberbly picking up on it. His ears were normal I think up .

As I don't know his past I don't know how he was treated or how he was fed but does seem to elect food everytime the fridge is opened. He does blinky and flop over so know he is happy.

He can't go outside until the warmer weather as has been kept inside so am seriously hoping we get some good weather soon and he is happier then and with hopefully bonded wifey .

I had exactly the same problems with Dipsy and it really wasn't funny. Really thought I was going to have to let him go because he started attacking my daughter as well. Turned out he was very, very bored and as soon as I started clicker training him, he changed dramatically. Was at my wits end and had been looking online as to how to manage such a aggressive bunny, and kept finding stories about people having clicker trained them. Got myself a book on ebay 'Clicking With Your Rabbit', bought a clicker for £1, and Dipsy just thrived on having something to think about, and almost instantly became much more manageable. Am so glad now that I persevered because he is such a fab, friendly bunny, and has bonded with a blind little dutchy, and just loves working with the clicker, and on the very rare occassion now that he does go to attack, I am able to diffuse the situation with the clicker, as, as soon as he hears that he is looking for his little bit of rich tea biscuit and has forgotten about attacking his victim.

Thanks for the replys fab info as always .

He eats a lot of hay and had enought to dig and roll in it he just wants to eat all f the time . When he bites its a fun up to you a nudge first then he grabs and pulls .

Last night I was sitting down with him waiting for him to come to me and he does several times sniffs accepts a stroke and hops off. Then went to get up as bottom has gone numb so was crouching he put front paws up sniffed gentle nibble then proper nip . He does make me nervous now and is proberbly picking up on it. His ears were normal I think up .

As I don't know his past I don't know how he was treated or how he was fed but does seem to elect food everytime the fridge is opened. He does blinky and flop over so know he is happy.

He can't go outside until the warmer weather as has been kept inside so am seriously hoping we get some good weather soon and he is happier then and with hopefully bonded wifey .

Hmmm, that doesn't sound aggressive at all, I think he is trying to communicate something. Either 'stop doing that' or 'why aren't you doing what I want you to' or 'pay attention to me'. The nudging, depending on how hard he nudges you, means 'hi' or 'oy!' or 'move'. A gentle nose-bonk would be 'hi', with 'oy' and 'move' being harder. It seems he isn't getting the response he wants from you, so then he nips to try and communicate it better - possibly he is annoyed that you didn't take his hint the first time.

Beware - if you move away when he does this he may learn that he can get this response from you and so use nipping to get you to back off.

Thank you again ,

I thought being a mummy was hard ! It's like being a mummy all over again !:D:D

I did not think was being aggressive just did not understand what I was doing wrong. Have tried all 3 and I think he wants attention to learn to trust me.

Tonight even in the same position ( was frozen thinking pls don't bite pls don't bite) I did not get bitten !

Turned a corner? We will see too soon to tell. I love this forum I love beings bunny mummy and you are all helping me being a better one x

Thank you again ,

I thought being a mummy was hard ! It's like being a mummy all over again !:D:D

I did not think was being aggressive just did not understand what I was doing wrong. Have tried all 3 and I think he wants attention to learn to trust me.

Tonight even in the same position ( was frozen thinking pls don't bite pls don't bite) I did not get bitten !

Turned a corner? We will see too soon to tell. I love this forum I love beings bunny mummy and you are all helping me being a better one x

Yes, I guess it could be trust. I got bitten or nearly bitten on almost a daily basis when I first got Barney - he was very territorial and food defensive. Over time he stopped, I noted the triggers and so avoided them (didn't put my hands on his stuff, watched my fingers at dinner-time and developed quicker reactions)... I guess we learnt to communicate. Anyways by the time I got him neutered he was hardly biting at all, he seemed to trust me more, trust that I wouldn't do the things that annoyed him. Now, about 2 and a half years later, he'll even let me touch his food - which was the biggest trigger for him, and he only ever bites by mistake (his eyesight isn't great, he's a blue-eyed white), if I'm being really annoying (brushing him or refusing to move when he asks) or for some reason if I am really upset. The last time I was bitten was at the vets, where I was blocking him from doing a flying leap off the table into his carrier. He nudged me, pushed me, grabbed my clothes and pulled, but I didn't move so he bit me - totally understandable. Occasionally, he'll still go for strange men.

This is the way they communicate, that's normal rabbit-speak, but of course their fur cushions them somewhat, so it doesn't hurt as much. So, it can help to squeak loudly in an 'ow that hurts' way, as they likely don't realise that it hurts.

Try not to fear the biting - really it's nothing remember... the pain lasts all of a second really, you may be left with a sore cut and/or a bruise, but really, you did much worse as a kid falling and scraping your knee. Try to not be nervous around him, they can pick up on it and it can put them on edge.

I think you're doing just fine as a bunny mummy! Just be alert, read his body-language and try to communicate with him. Tamsin Stone (creator of this forum) has written a really good book, full of sketches of different poses and behaviours, with useful information on them: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Understandi...0022/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363999079&sr=8-1

Cardboard boxes are good, Scamp loves remodling his keeps him occupied for ages. Also I regularly cut a bunch of stick a put them in a pile in his way... takes awhile to rearrange/chew to his liking.

All mine love to dig. A box (underbed storage box or cardboard box) with a thick layer of newspaper and some ripped up bits in as well work well also i put pellets inside cereal boxes and they love hunting about for them! Best of luck. He sounds a typical intelligent spirited rabbit. :D

Awww thank you , do love him to bits . Have a rummage in the garage and found an old wooden box that came with beer and tankard. It's untreated so filled with hay and away we go he is over the moon that he can chew something in the kitchen without being told no ! I swear he understood when I was explaining it to him " look chew and dug box filled with hay and what's left of the willow ball " is is a very intelligent bun ....... I'm in trouble :shock::lol:

Back