• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weldmesh for run floor

Zoobec

Staff member
So, I've got my hutch linked to run with a runaround pipe, and as the runs are on grass I want to attach weldmesh to form a run floor so that no bunny can dig out and nothing can get in.
I've read some people's old posts by doing a search and it seems some people just have the mesh directly on the grass so the buns can eat it, and others dig up the grass and relay it on top of the mesh.
I quite like the idea of being able to move the run around and let them eat newer grass every few days, but just wondered what people's thoughts were?
And has anyone got any recommendations as to the best place to buy it? I've seen this on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Welded-Wi...t=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item19c56c86af
I've got 2 6ft x 4ft runs to do and any excess is bound to come in handy for future projects!

That mesh is ideal for meshing runs etc., however I think that for the bottom of a run you'd be better off using puppy panels or similar.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/runs_fencing/73280/8_sided/35639 Something like this would be ideal attached to the bottom of the run. Cable ties would do perfectly as it's thick and hard to staple. I would certainly never advocate using just a puppy pen in the garden as it's completely unsafe from predators, however for the bottom of the run it will allow the grass to poke through enough whilst ensuring they can't dig out. Even 1 x 1 inch mesh just flattens the grass underneath and so bunnies won't be able to reach any.

That's just what I'd do :wave:

I would bury the mesh under the grass as I think it would hurt rabbits' feet if they had to walk on the mesh.

Thanks for that. Are there any other ways of dig proofing a run that would allow the run to be moved onto fresh grass periodically?

I think if they're going to have permanent access to the run its best to put the mess under the grass. I did, although there's no grass left! I plan to let them free range when the weather improves so they get access to fresh grass. Or you could maybe have an additional smaller moveable run that they can just go into when ur there to supervise then u don't need a mesh base. Heidi and Dash have been using a puppy pen type temp run with no probs, obv I'm there to keep an eye on them but I do put panels on the top to stop them jumping out!

If the grass is fairly flat, you should be OK with some bigger mesh (eg 4" square) like on the bottom of a dog crate with no tray in. It will allow easy moving of the run whilst allowing grass through. You are trying to stop them digging out so it would still work.

I use XL dog crates without trays as part of a secure, lockable run on grass so that I can move them regularly and have not had a problem with bunny feet getting caught if they are positioned on level ground. They may still manage to dig, but not enough to make a tunnel out.

Back