• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Its just a Rabbit!!!!

Peterbunny

Mama Doe
:evil:

Does anyone else get fed up with people using the old "Its only a Rabbit" line all the time?!! Does that happen to you?

I do, my Mum is forever using it and it drives me nuts :censored::roll: We speak every morning, this morning she said "has Peter got his bags packed yet" so I said no - He's currently indoors but will be moving back outside when it gets warmer - and she said "He's a Rabbit!!" I explained about the risk of him getting poorly etc (and the fact that I really want to get him bonded so that he has company outside) but she just laughed :?

I was a bunny novice until last Summer (still not 100% up on it yet!) but I wouldnt attempt to belittle someone who knows more than I do. TBH I'm just getting fed up with it, If its not about "chucking him back out in the garden" its about leaving him unattended, what he gets fed etc. I wouldn't mind if she did her research about bunnies, then could back up her claims, but she's not willing too and when I suggest she does she just retaliates with "He's just an animal!!!!!" I know I baby him (he is rather spoilt) but even if I didn't I would want to make sure I do everything right

grrr

rant over :oops::lol:

Luckily my family realise that pets aren't just pets, but I can tell some people at work and uni think I'm very odd!

The problem is that they think rabbits belong outdoors in small hutches in the garden and need a bit of food throwing in once a day so when I say I have a freeranging rabbit in my study and living room they think I'm a nutcase!

I'm past caring though. They're not there to cuddle in the mornings and Ludo is!

I am a bit mad though, I realised the other day I was talking to Ludo about the snooker :oops:

Luckily my family realise that pets aren't just pets, but I can tell some people at work and uni think I'm very odd!

The problem is that they think rabbits belong outdoors in small hutches in the garden and need a bit of food throwing in once a day so when I say I have a freeranging rabbit in my study and living room they think I'm a nutcase!

I'm past caring though. They're not there to cuddle in the mornings and Ludo is!

I am a bit mad though, I realised the other day I was talking to Ludo about the snooker :oops:

I'm always talking to Peter :oops::lol: I'll miss him being around when He moves back outside but I know he's happier out there (I put him out in his run in the glimpse of sunshine last week and he did the first binky in ages!).

My Mum just likes to push her opinions onto me, I do try and ignore her, It just annoys me how she laughs.

He's one of my Children now :love::lol:

My mum used the exact line "she's only a rabbit!", when I told her I couldn't go on holiday for a week to Northumberland coz my Amber is expecting babies next week. My mum never understood my love for bunnies :3

I'm always talking to Peter :oops::lol: I'll miss him being around when He moves back outside but I know he's happier out there (I put him out in his run in the glimpse of sunshine last week and he did the first binky in ages!).

My Mum just likes to push her opinions onto me, I do try and ignore her, It just annoys me how she laughs.

He's one of my Children now :love::lol:

The funny thing is she has a dog and he is spoilt rotten so its not like she's anti animals, far from it, its just in her opinion Peter should be able to tolerate anything be that food, temperatures etc.

My parents are pretty good, they brought me up with pets around and taught me to love and respect animals. Something I am very thankful for!!!

They were also the ones that did the research when I got my first bun at 9 or 10, it was them that looked at the hutch sold with him and felt it wasn't right, it was them that discovered the rwaf and joined a hopper group! :lol: it was also them that made him a house rabbit and got him a wifey bun, allowing them both the run of the house and accepting (with annoyance but forgiveness) that they ate all downstairs carpets, stained them all, stripped wallpaper, ate through 3 phone cables...:oops::lol:

So actually they were pretty awesome :thumb: they believe whole heartedly that an animal is a responsibility and is a privilege not a right and it is up to us to care for them the very best we can.

Even so they keep laughing at me and my pets, but I know they understand deep down :p

Even my OH mum has stopped commenting on the number of animals in the flat :lol:

I find it very strange, ppl have no interest in talking about rabbits, when im at work i can see ppl are not interested in anything im saying bunny related. A women at work was telling me they had a big white rabbit when they were little, shes about 60 so before they used to spay them, she said her dad used to drown the babies this poor bunny obviously used to have regularly. She said it was a nasty rabbit, REALLY!!!! No wonder the poor thing!

I still get it from my mum, and I'm 42 with kids of my own. Everytime she visits she askes "when are you going to put the rabbits back outside where they belong?" and doesn't understand why I take him to the vets for vaccinations and pay hundreds for dentals. She would to it for her cats and dog, but she doesn't believe that rabbits are just as equal as a cat or a dog. And when i showed her the"cat in a cage" video, she said "but rabbits are meant to be in cages..that's where they belong" :shock: I really give up now :roll:

My mum just thinks Me&bobo are a bit bonkers - but I blame her anyway as she brought me up thinking that animals were higher than children in the hierachy of life:D. When she rings me she always asks after the rabbits first before asking how me and Me&bobo are....so obviously animals still rank above children in her opinion :lol:

People at work just listen with a glazed look in their eyes when I talk about them...but are polite enough not to say 'it's just a rabbit'. Mindyou - I might have said the same before we got rabbits...didn't think they did much or needed much...:oops:

I don't talk to people who don't respect my opinions. Luckily my family do. My dad queerly but my mum always asks after them. She might think they can just go outside etc but will listen to what me and my sister say. And then immediately forget. :lol:

People often look at me like I'm insane when I mention how my rabbits live (in a x-pen/in my room) people always ask me how they can be without a cage :roll:

My family don't get it. At all.

My dad loves anything with a tail, so he's good with my buns, but my mother thinks they should be shoved in a box outside and ignored. I get a lot of 'it's only a rabbit' and 'they belong outside', from my sister too, which is ridiculous given that she has a dog that she literally thinks is her child. He wears clothes, gets Disney product food bowls and blankets, and requires his own Christmas and Birthday cards. She even has my mother calling him her 'grandpug' - he can do no wrong. But he's a dog, and rabbits are just useless outdoor pets, apparently.

It makes me rather angry, to say the least.

But I love my buns, and they make me happy when everything else sucks. They're substantially better than people anyway :)

Most of my acquaintances know me better than to try that line now. ;)

The first time I had Spenser at the vet a few people (although not close family and friends) were perplexed by why I had taken him as it would have been much cheaper to get a new rabbit. :(

I'm so pleased I'm not the only one :wave: I really hate it when I hear people say 'it's only a rabbit'!! Makes me so mad. They are adorable animals and I'd be totally lost without my ones, they complete me totally and they always get the best of care at all times. My hubby takes the mickey out of me when he hears me chatting to them but I've since heard him talking to them too - and he gives them extra treats when he thinks I'm not looking!! I really would have a garden full of them if I could :love:

I not only get that but other things along the lines of....."put it in a stew" :evil:
Needless to say I get the hump, I can't even laugh it off anymore, so unfunny. Why is a dog or cat anymore a part of the family than a rabbit? I don't get it x

I get this a lot, yeah :roll: My family understand now though, my mum (although she doesn't like to admit this) has become very attached to Bella, and when Boris passed away my grandma actually sat down and told me how dreadfully sorry she was.......just a few years ago she was still making rabbit stew jokes.....so yeah. It's usually other people that say mean things, but I tend to just ignore it because they have no idea.

I not only get that but other things along the lines of....."put it in a stew" :evil:
Needless to say I get the hump, I can't even laugh it off anymore, so unfunny. Why is a dog or cat anymore a part of the family than a rabbit? I don't get it x

Yeah - I sometimes get that...- people can be so dumb sometimes you have to feel sorry for them.

Back