• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Hocks

Hales1092

Warren Scout
Amber is 2 years old, and i've recently noticed very sore hocks which have now started to bleed? I originally adopted her from a lady who could no longer look after her. She was originally outside, and as soon as i noticed blood on her fur, i decided it was best to keep her inside where she couldn't cause further damage. Is there any home remedies anyone can recommend? Or should i get her to the vets, i've never seen this is any of my buns so i was rather worried. She doesn't seem to be bothered about it, but it does keep bleeding throughout the day.

Thanks for reading :)

Originally she was outside on slabs, and the area was not clean or safe what so ever. This was at the ladies house were i got her from.

Right now she has a a huge dog crate which she sleeps in, i've covered all the metal up so she doesnt catch her feet. There is carpet in the halls and wooden flooring in her room where she spends the most time.

Poor girl, sore hocks and mated up :cry:

As you said in your other thread that a Vet examines her every week has the sore hock issue not been discussed :?

In Giants sore hocks are often a secondary symptom to a problem with the hips and/or arthritis

If there is a hip problem this might be congenital which would mean that the Doe could pass on the problem to some or all of her kits :cry:

As well as treating the sore hocks it is essential to try to identify the primary cause. This often involves Xrays, which obviously cant be done now as she is pregnant

Here is some more detailed information about sore hocks:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sorehocks.html

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Ulcerative_pododermatitis_rabbits.htm

Yes, she gets seen to every week. Her sore hocks have been seen by the vet, but she said there is nothing to worry about. But of course, i am a worrier and i just wanted some second opinions of people who have dealt with it before.

I am really worried about her of course because of the mistrust and lies her original owner has told me. So i am just trying to get her health sorted as soon as possible, as well as look after all her kits. Just really upsets me when rabbits are treated this way, and i really want to get her as fit and healthy as she possibly can be. Apart from those 2 issues, she is a great loyal bun. So i hope to have her as long as possible.

Personally if your vet has seen these sore hocks and not done anything about it i'd be going to a different vet.
Post a thread in Rabbit chat asking for recommendations in your area.

I also see your doe is due babies, all the more reason why to get a rabbit savvy vet.

Sore hocks if left untreated can ulcerate and then infection can go all the way through to the bone.
When I first noticed Angel my white lionhead had sore hocks my vet immediately gave me cream for them and pain killers.
It has been an ongoing problem with me having to try a variety of different set ups for her.
But at no point has Angels hocks ever bled. This tells me your poor bunny has reallly sore feet.
She'll need painkillers and more than likely need antibiotics as well as a cream to help her feet.

Please ask about a rabbit savvy vet thats recommended in your area.

Thank you for the advice, i have found a rabbit savvy vet about 20 miles away from me which i can easily get to. So i have booked Amber in to be seen Friday morning. So i can get a second opinion. Our local vet is also coming around at 7 tonight to have a look again, because i said i wasn't happy with the state of her foot. As it's only just one which bled a little. So i shall update on how she is going.

Thank you for the advice, i have found a rabbit savvy vet about 20 miles away from me which i can easily get to. So i have booked Amber in to be seen Friday morning. So i can get a second opinion. Our local vet is also coming around at 7 tonight to have a look again, because i said i wasn't happy with the state of her foot. As it's only just one which bled a little. So i shall update on how she is going.

Good :)
Hopefully you'll be able to get on top of it. It can be a pain in the bum to manage once they're bad.
You may want to think about changing her set up slightly so that you can reduce the chances of it worsening.
I'e found filling the litter tray with a deep bed of hay, and using old duvet's works best for Angel and Bailey.
Stable matting and foam mats are also used.
Carpet can be abrasive and cause 'friction' on the foot and can make the fur recede, you may want to cover this with the duvet with a fleece over the top.

Where there is carpeting, i've got 4 huge blankets that i can put down for her. So that is a good idea thank you :) I try not to have her on the carpet, but wherever i go? She wants to go these days :love: The local vet has also been around to check on her and says her foot has got worse and it may be due to her binking on the carpet. So i'm gonna tackle the carpet situation tomorrow :3

Last edited:
Back