• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas for keeping my newly single bunny entertained?

toffee

Mama Doe
Hi :wave:

We lost Piccolo on Sunday leaving Preya widowed :( They'd only been together 5 months.

She'd been at the vet with Piccolo when he died. I brought her home last night.

She seems remarkably ok - eating and toileting etc. She seemed very happy to be home last night and enjoyed running around the house (she has the run of it when I'm there apart from my bedroom and the kitchen).

The problem is, when she's in her house she looks lost :( she's been pressing herself up against the bars waiting for us. I'm worried that she's lonely. My OH has said that when I want another rabbit I just have to tell him and I think he's expecting me to get a friend for Preya but at the moment we're both still grieving (it's only been a day and a half) and I want to leave it a while.

Preya is allowed out of her house when I'm home which equates to about 4 hours in the evening and more on the 3 days a week when I'm at home.

Has anyone got any good ideas for keeping her entertained when she's on her own?

I worry that Doughnut is bored when I'm at work. She's not really interested in toys but she has a tunnel in her playpen and an igloo to jump on or go in and I stuff toilet rolls with hay. She also has a hay rack. She also likes munching on a willow tunnel which keeps her entertained.

I do think she sleeps quite a bit when I'm not there, when I'm home during the day she still likes to nod off for a while, then eat, have a run and then sleep again!

Sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry you lost your other bun :( maybe give her a cuddly toy as a temporary friend? How big is her house? Does she have a pen attached or not? It might stop her becoming so bored/lonely if she can hop about outside of her house for a bit while you're not there. X

When I lost Ruby a few months ago I gave Bill a soft toy rabbit, it is quite lifelike. It has become crispy as he washes it so much. When I bond him with Bliss I am hoping he wont need it anymore but am planning on leaving it in with both of them for a while.

When Elmo lost his first friend I did a bit of clicker training with him every day, just to keep his mind occupied :)

Just realised you were looking for ideas when she is on her own! Sorry. It might still be worth doing though? :)

Thanks guys. I have given her a cuddly toy.

I like the look of this -

marchi1990
I have this for Woody:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_...et_toys/201275

He lives on his own and it entertains him for quite a while. He loves pushing and knocking it around to get his pellets out! It seems very fun for him.

I went on a bunny shopping spree after work. She now has a bird feeder that I've put spring green in - she seems to be enjoying pulling at it, it's a bit more difficult to get the greens out. I've also given her a big parrot bell which I've hung from the roof of her house. I think she'll be too worn out to be bored tonight, I gave her a spare nylon bunny play tube I have and she's been running through that. At the moment she's making a racket trying to eat a piece of weetabix I hid in a bowl under some veg. So far this evening she's also said hello to the guinea pigs, knocked the tupperware of raisins off the table trying to get to them and ripped up the newspaper and kitchen paper I put down in the sitting room for her to pee on. :)

I think I'm going to keep trying the tactic of wearing her out so much when I'm home that she'll be too tired to be bored when I'm not here!

Back