• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Matted fur on front paws?

AEG1989

Young Bun
:wave: I've just noticed that the fur on the inside of Billys front paws is slightly matted. He has no other symptoms his eyes are bright and clear and there is no discharge coming from his nose. I know this is usually happens when bunnies have a runny nose and they wipe there nose and the furs gets matted but Im a bit baffled as to what has caused this as he has no runny nose or eyes? Im pretty sure he hasn't had either of those symptoms in the past fews weeks either anyone have any ideas as to what is causing it?

it could be teeth related, id get a vet to check out his molar teeth incase he has possible spurs that may need burring down :wave:

Deffo could be dental - when I first got one of my dental buns the inner sides of his front paws were all matted and he had a bit of a matted patch under his chin. He had awful teeth, but the dentals cleared up the matted areas. I think it would be a good idea to get bun booked in at the vets asap as bad teeth can be very sore if the spurs grow into the tongue or cheeks :(

It is usually the first indication of a snuggly bun, as you said, or dental issues. He needs a vet check to determine e what the cause is.
It's good that he's bright in himself though as the best time to tackle it is before they go downhill or stop eating.

Thanks everyone:D Billys booked in for his vaccinations on Monday so will mention it to the vet then :thumb:

Brilliant advice already given but just to add that it is possible for a bun to have nasal discharge on their paws but not their nose, it depends how much they clean their nose, some (like humans) hate to have a snooty nose and will 'blow' it frequently enough to remove all trace.

Back