• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

poor bunny

xSianx

Young Bun
Hi every one, i introduced myself agggeees ago but have just veen following threads since. I have an almost 1 yr old blue rex named blue and he was living at my mums as she has a big garden and blue loved it there. Unfortunately i think he was attacked by my mums cat (blue started to chase them) and has resulted in the loss of his left eye and damaged to the outside of his right ear. Both are healing well but i am gutted by the whole thing. He is eating and getting lots of treats (i cant help but give him some).

He is now living back with me and i dont like the thought of him in a cage so am currently converting my garage and garden for him. He is on his own as he was the only one of the litter, otherwise i would have bought two. Was booked in to have him neutured but this was put off due to his injuries and dont want him having another surgery for a long time as he has been through enough. I hope he is not lonely :( he doesnt seem it but how d people tell when they are?

Sorry for my essay just needed to write it all down as i am so upset by the situation and know that u are all bunny lovers. Every one in work is telling me im stupid for spend £350 on 'just a rabbit' amd that i should have had him put down!! I just cant believe people would even think of that!!

Sian and blue xx

It sounds as if you love little Blue very much and want the very best for him.Many people have a "its just a rabbit"attitude because they havent had the joy of owning these intelligent,loving,funny little animals or if they have,stick it in a hutch at the end of the garden and wonder why its miserable/unwell or both.Its very unfortunate that he was attacked but it sounds as if you have ensured his recovery and done all you can to get him well.You seem to have some good plans for this environment and im sure he will be a happy,well loved little bun.When hes ready and you are too it might be a good idea to get him neutered for health reasons-he would im sure be thrilled with a bunny wife-it can make a huge difference to their mental and physical welfare and they are never lonely.What ever you decide good luck with everything:thumb:

Just ignore all of these people who say'its only a rabbit', stick it in a pie dish....

You love your wee bunny and want to look after him well... Theres nothing wrong with that at all..

Its nice to see.. I hope you can stop feeling guilty, do all you can to make Blue comfy and just to make him even happier consider a wee wifey bun for him... He'll have all he needs...:love:

Love
Fee xxxxx

Hi, i get the pie and stew comments so boring! Its not just a rabbit, ppl dont know what theyre like. I will always have rabbits now, theyre amazing. So sorry your bun got attacked how awful!! I love coming on here, no one i talk to ever wants to talk rabbits, they get this bored look and change the subject ir make rubbish pie gags, yawn....

Hope your lil bunny is feeling better soon xx

Thank you every one for your kind words. Blue is doing well, his eye is looking very clean and no sign of any kind of infection. His ear on the other hand is looking worse as infection has spread. I panicked yest and rang the vets who was kind enough to speak to me over the phone and said it sounds fairly normal for his injuries add to keep applying cream and giving meds. He is having his stitches out fri so she can double check then.

We have just bought a huge pen for the garden but i have also bought a lead, does any one use these? I don't know whether to use it or take it back.

Im glad there is a forum like this, i dont get how people can just put a price on an animals head. Like u say, until u have a rabbit u have no idea! I also have 2 rats, 2 african pygmy hedehogs and a british shorthair blue cat (yep i love 'blue' animals haha!) whom i love dearly xx

You sound like a very kind bunny mummy:)
I dont know what others think but i wouldnt bother with the lead.Ithink as long as you have a nice big run thats fine.

His eye op was a great success but now his ear is so badly damaged that half of it is destined to fall off! :( The vet said its a waiting game for the dead tissue to just simply fall away. So he will be a half eared one eyes rabbit :( The vet said his quality of life should be ok but im not too sure x

It sounds like he will be ok. Lots of people on here have rabbits with disabilities and I'm sure he will cope well with one eye and half an ear :wave:

I wouldn't use a lead, rabbits like to do their own thing :D

Thank you. As long as he is not in pajn im hoping he will be fine. I took the lead back after x

you would be amazed at rabbits ability to cope with the things yoiu have mentioned. i know of some who have 3 legs or are completely blind yet the are very happy! so dont worry about that. you clearly love him and thats what is important- he may look a bit unconventional but he can still be happy!:wave:

I would say wait for him to be fully recovered from his trauma and to really heal then talk to your vet about neutering to find a friend- my charlie was back to himself the day after! bunnies who have problems with sight can really benefit from a bunny companion and there are loads of rescues that would be able to find the right one :)

all the best!!!:wave: we will have to see pics of the gorgeous boy when he is up to it:love:

Thanks for the info! I have been looking into rescues but my bf thinks im being a bit eager lol. I cant help it tho, I cant wait to get him a wife!xx

you would be amazed at rabbits ability to cope with the things yoiu have mentioned. i know of some who have 3 legs or are completely blind yet the are very happy! so dont worry about that. you clearly love him and thats what is important- he may look a bit unconventional but he can still be happy!:wave:

I would say wait for him to be fully recovered from his trauma and to really heal then talk to your vet about neutering to find a friend- my charlie was back to himself the day after! bunnies who have problems with sight can really benefit from a bunny companion and there are loads of rescues that would be able to find the right one :)

all the best!!!:wave: we will have to see pics of the gorgeous boy when he is up to it:love:

This^^
One of my does is blind in one eye and has damaged ear(she was attacked by a dog before i had her from a rescue)and her husbun is almost blind and totally deaf.Between them they get by very happily,helping each other out.They have a good quality of life and have totally adapted.
Im glad your bun is doing ok.x:)

His eye op was a great success but now his ear is so badly damaged that half of it is destined to fall off! :( The vet said its a waiting game for the dead tissue to just simply fall away. So he will be a half eared one eyes rabbit :( The vet said his quality of life should be ok but im not too sure x

Lots of the best buns have one & a half ears!
My first bun Parsley was in that illustrious club & lived a full & happy life.
She bonded well with two lovely husbuns.
I'm sure Blue would love a wife once his ear & eye have settled & he has been desexed.
I'm sure there is no rush though & it would be best to wait until he is fully recovered.
Though no harm looking at rescue girlies in the mean time ;)

Aww it amazes me to hear how many buns live with so many diff disabilites, they are such strong animals! Its comforting to know that so many live well with losses of eyes etc. I cant wait to get Blue neutured and a wife but seems a long road yet. He is fine in himself though and I am currently in crazy poop and wee monitoring mode but never mind all seems well and as long as he's eating and acting like his old self then thats fine by me :) xx

I am chuffed right now, just googled the noise Blue makes when he is beig stroked and saw a youtube video and he is purring :) so happy that he is happy! Especially as yesterday the dead part of his ear came off so he only has half an ear now but os content :) xx

Just been to the vets and she said we dont have to go back any more :) she said he has healed brilliantly and although looking slightly odd he is in great health. So happy xx

Love a happy ending, im sure he will be very happy when he has such a good mummy! Esp when hes ready to have a friend. My bunny has never looked happier now he has a girlfriend so glad i got her for him x

Thanks! Vet said give it a bit of time as he has been through so much but will get him neutured when we can :) x

Back