• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Small poos - Baytril?

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Can Baytril cause small poops?

Nutmeg's been on a 30 day course of Baytril due to another respiratory infection, it finished last Friday. For the past week or so I've been finding small poops and tonight I figured out whose doing them. I'm sure it's Meggy as before she laid down in bunloaf position the carpet was clean, when she got up there was about 5-6 small poops and one normal sized one.

She seems to be struggling a bit breathing wise tonight as well but is still eating plenty of hay.

Last edited:
None of mine have ever had small poos.
But it can make the poos different.
Does she have any mucuos
You may want to ask the vet about a mucanoid called bisolvon it helps break down the mucous and allows it to disperse.

Mucus in poops or nose? No to either though she did sound a little more rattley than usual when I cut her nails this afternoon. At the moment she sounds like she always sounds but seems to be sitting more than usual.

Rattly would be mucous.
I get like that when I have a chest infection with my asthma.
Ask your vet and see if it would help?

Oral antibiotics could effect the gut bacteria, though baytril seems very well tolerated. You could add a probiotic and/or up hay. If it becomes a problem then swapping to injectable by-passes the gut.

Rattly would be mucous.
I get like that when I have a chest infection with my asthma.
Ask your vet and see if it would help?

Will do, she's more herself this morning but I'm still going to phone about the poops.

Oral antibiotics could effect the gut bacteria, though baytril seems very well tolerated. You could add a probiotic and/or up hay. If it becomes a problem then swapping to injectable by-passes the gut.

She's been off the abx for a few days now. I've been refilling their hay rack whenever it gets low and she is eating lots. It's odd because the poos are still crumbly and golden, just small.

Will do, she's more herself this morning but I'm still going to phone about the poops.

She's been off the abx for a few days now. I've been refilling their hay rack whenever it gets low and she is eating lots. It's odd because the poos are still crumbly and golden, just small.

When Ginger's rough, although she eats lot her gut does slow down. Remember, what goes in comes out later, so it may take a few days :)

Vibes for MeggyMoo!

Just as in humans antibiotics can cause tummy problems. Mine always have smaller, shinier pools when on Baytril. I also find poos can smell different too when on baytril. I use Protexin for rabbits. It's a pro biotic available online or at the vets in sachets. There is a carrot flavour probiotic tube but no bun I've ever had will eat it. The probiotic should help a lot. Once the baytril course has been completed hopefully all will return to normal.

My bun, Xena had a course of Septrin for a UTI and her poos went quite "odd". They have been all different sizes and some very tiny ones, I was worried but she was eating plenty and they were all still golden. She has been off the abx for about 2 weeks and her poos are still slightly odd but are slowly getting back to normal. Xena has a very sensitive tum so this doesn't surprise me. I would definitely get your bun checked over if you are worried but I would give it a week after the abx has finished and if the poo is still small, take her back for a check. :thumb:

Mr Bennetts poos were tiny on septrim so the vet gave me profibre which has helped. He loves the profibre. His poo has never been great so I am going to use it permanently.

Doughnut was only on Baytril when she had been spayed so I can't tell if it affected her poops.

Hope your little one is OK, sound like you need more meds. I've just had some more posted to me and then I'm back next Tuesday to see Markie Mark. At this rate we must run into each other soon. Be nice to see you and your buns, although not in great circumstances!

Thank you all, just phoned the vets and going to take her down this evening just to check everything. Will ask about the bisolvon too.

Doughnut was only on Baytril when she had been spayed so I can't tell if it affected her poops.

Hope your little one is OK, sound like you need more meds. I've just had some more posted to me and then I'm back next Tuesday to see Markie Mark. At this rate we must run into each other soon. Be nice to see you and your buns, although not in great circumstances!

I'm surprised I didn't bump into you in December! The amount of times I was down there that month was silly!! One week I think we went three times.

Good luck. It's amazing they always fit you in. I'm sure your mind will be put at rest whatever the next course of action is. I know I always feel better after having Doughnut checked out. Keep us posted.

Mark was going to give me a paste probiotic but since syringe feeding is a nightmare he said to continue with the avipro which he'd given me a couple of months back. I just pinch it over Doughnut's food, she loves the taste and licks it all up.

I should get my next lot of echinecea today!

Thats a point, i had them on echinachea for a while and then gave them a break but forgot to start it again. :oops:

It's so hard to tell what helps but Doughnut's on three meds again now so hopefully some of them are working!

I wonder if you will get a different antibiotic. Doughnut was hoping for septrin but sadly not a horrible tasting one instead.

She is rattley again :( poor thing, this is proving hard to shift this time. She's got baytril and metacam again and also bisolvon. Going to give it a couple of weeks and may possibly try nebulising. Mark wants to give the meds a bit longer first.

She is rattley again :( poor thing, this is proving hard to shift this time. She's got baytril and metacam again and also bisolvon. Going to give it a couple of weeks and may possibly try nebulising. Mark wants to give the meds a bit longer first.

May be worthwhile giving some echinacea too to naturally boost her immune system?

Vibes for my little Meggy :love:

May be worthwhile giving some echinacea too to naturally boost her immune system?

Vibes for my little Meggy :love:

Damn I knew I'd forgotten something when I gave them their fibafirst! Will have to do it in the morning instead. They tend to swap sticks so I've been putting a drop or two on all three sticks, means they all get it but I don't see the harm. They get echinachea leaves in summer.

She's just been bombing it down the landing :lol:

Back